Request for microphone specifications

Rate this topic

ratbagradio

Microphone tech talk tends to go right over my head but as they say in regard to art -- I know what I like (when it comes to sound).

I have a couple of microphones -- a Sony and a great pair on a split lead made by Visivox.

But i want a microphone that captures close in audio and doesn't take up ambient sound. I want it for close interviewing out and about and voice over work here at home for my podcasts as my office is open to all the suburban soundscape(eg:planes overhead, dogs barking, traffic,noisy computers, etc). I'm thinking that I need a mic that has a focused recording directional arc of no more than 18 inches (or 40 cm). Just imagine something hand held and sort of in your face. I assume a radio broadcast mic would suit and they have an arc no more than 8-12inches.

So what sort of mics are on offer and if I was going to get one made up -- as is being offered by Visivox -- what sort of specifications would I request?

For other recording options I simply switch microphones and my current set works admirably outside this undirectional low ambience work.

you need a "Hyper Cardioid" or Cardioid mic , with a Narrrow pickup pattern

This is a Directional mic

Omni directional mics , pic sound up from ALL directions

Hemisherical Mics = pickup in a half Spherical pattern

Cardioids pickup in an Oval directional pattern

Hyper Cardioids pickup in a narrower Oval directional

Figure 8 pattern is front and back with side rejection

Hope that helps .