Does Sonicstage transfer to Net MD in ATRAC SP quality (noob here)?

Rate this topic

Wakashizuma

Hello everyone.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to SonicStage so bear with me please.

I used to have Minidisc recorders years ago when there was no software and everything was recorded using optical/lines ins so I have no experience regarding SonicStage.

I was wondering if I transfer my CDs to my computer in ATRAC lossless quality, when uploading to my new Net MD player will it transfer the files in original SP 292kbps setting or it only does LP2?

I want my discs to be compatible with my deck and old minidisc players.

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately there is no true SP codec for NetMD/Sonicstage. You can use "SP Compatibility Mode", which will work on SP only units but is only ~132kbps instead of ~292kbps.

Thanks for the response

So what option gives me the best sounding quality tracks on my Net MD? Does SonicStage only transfer to Net MD @ 132kbps quality and below?

EDUT = Let me make my question a little more clear. What's the highest bitrate I can get on my NetMD using SonicStage? If I'm not worried about backward compatibility with my deck, Can I go higher than 132kbps?

Edited by Wakashizuma

For NetMD, maximum quality via Sonicstage is in fact ~132kbps (LP2). The newer Hi-MD recorders can transfer (in Hi-MD mode) higher bitrates (~192, ~256, ~320, Uncompressed PCM), what unit do you have?

My old MD deck is MDS-J920. I also got a new MZ-NF520 for a very cheap price ($20) So I thoughts it's worth having one. I love my deck but the whole real time transfer can be frustrating sometimes so I thought of getting a Net MD and make my MD discs using a computer.

However I have not opened the unit yet. If I exchange for a Hi-MD unit like MZ-NH600 (which I thought it was not worth having in the first place), can I get higher quality tracks on MD? It seems to me no matter which way I go making 292kbs MD discs is not possible. Unfortunately 132kbps quality doesn't do it for me since I listen to lots of classical stuff and I want the best possible quality for my playback.

Thank you in advance

You can transfer the higher ATRAC bitrates (256k,352k,PCM) to the NH600 via Sonictsage, so it may be worth getting for portable use. The higher bitrates won't be compatible with your old deck though, so you'd still be stuck with real time for 292k recordings, which would be compatible with all your equipment.

You can transfer the higher ATRAC bitrates (256k,352k,PCM) to the NH600 via Sonictsage, so it may be worth getting for portable use. The higher bitrates won't be compatible with your old deck though, so you'd still be stuck with real time for 292k recordings, which would be compatible with all your equipment.

Have you actually done a SS transfer to your unit to see what it really sounds like? Forget the numbers, just listen and see if you like it.

Bob

Thank you all.

My friend has a Net MD player and I listened to it. I found the 132kbps quality not that impressing especially compare to the good old 292kbps one.

I decided to get new a Hi-MD player (and return the Net MD unit) and I'm choosing MZ-NH600. By getting this player, am I correct assuming that Sonicstage will transfer ATRAC files encoded @ 256kbps or 352kbps to the Hi-MD player MZ-NH600?

Thanks in advance

ES: Any opinion on MZ-NH600? Is it a good unit?

Edited by Wakashizuma

Yes, Sonicstage will transfer 256k and 352k ATRAC files to the NH600, without further loss. You'll probably want to use a later version of Sonicstage, 4.2 or 4.3 (if you have Vista) than that supplied with the NH600, to ensure the best software installation. I have had a couple of NH600's for several years and find them to be very reliable and the sound quality very good with higher bitrates. Some people have found the jog dial to wear out after heavy use, but as I mostly use a remote this hasn't been a problem for me.

Note that the NH600D is a downloader only, whereas the NH600 also has a line/optical input.

Edited by Barock

It doesn't solve his problem with deck compatability though. Sony really dropped the ball on this one. No Hi-MD deck, the mind boggles. So I stick with SP decks because that is the way Sony originally intended minidisc to be, a one way street.

At the end of the day it's the music that really counts whichever method you choose.

Indeed, I'm keeping two seperate versions on MD, LP2 for the decks/legacy portables and Hi-MD versions. Bit of a pain really, but just about manageable.

You can use the 600 for both, you are able to transfer legacy or Hi-MD through SS,

Have fun

Bob

Thanks everyone for your input.

I returned the Net MD and instead got myself the MZRH1. It's little expensive for me, but I'm thinking it will be worth it.

Here's what I came up with:

)Use Hi-MD mode for transferring music from SonicStage to Hi-MD so I can use 256 bitrate

)Record my stuff in MD compatible mode (SP) so I can use my decks (radio shows and such)

Not the best solution in the world, but this is as close as I can get to it!

Funny thing is in MZRH1's manual, it says Sonicstage can transfer music in SP mode to MD formatted discs.

can i buy your net md unit that you dont want . the one you are going to return. they are hard to get in Pennslyvania???

Unfortunately I returned it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I returned the Net MD and instead got myself the MZRH1. It's little expensive for me, but I'm thinking it will be worth it.

Here's what I came up with:

)Use Hi-MD mode for transferring music from SonicStage to Hi-MD so I can use 256 bitrate

)Record my stuff in MD compatible mode (SP) so I can use my decks (radio shows and such)

Not the best solution in the world, but this is as close as I can get to it!

Funny thing is in MZRH1's manual, it says Sonicstage can transfer music in SP mode to MD formatted discs.

Unfortunately I returned it.

I have made quite a few transfers in SP for my car deck, you need a new version of SS and have to be sure the MD is set to MD not Hi-MD,

Good luck and have fun,

Bob

I have made quite a few transfers in SP for my car deck, you need a new version of SS and have to be sure the MD is set to MD not Hi-MD,

Good luck and have fun,

Bob

All these years of being a fan of Minidisc and not knowing such place existed on internet; shame!

So if format the 80min disc in legacy MD format and transfer files from the latest version of Sonicstage, is it possible to get SP quality audio?

PS: I know it's frustrating being obsessed with audio bitrate and quality. No wonder being an audiophile is more like a disease :D

PS: Another question. When ripping to ATRAC lossless, I have to choose a bitrate for lossy core in order to do fast transfers to Walkman devices. If I choose 256 (352) here, am I correct assuming no transcoding will be necessary?

Edited by Wakashizuma

hi md cannot play the lossless atrac file but if you rip to atrac 352 it will be awesome and sound perfect just the same as a cd.. about your first question there are no versions of sonic stage that can transfer true sp quality recordings(old sp) its just 132k padded up to 292 for old sp only devices. you must use the hi-md modes to get close to the old 292k quality. 256k sounds just as good. 352 is just slightly better and in most cases just wasting space. none of the hi-md disks formatted in hi-md mode will play on your old equipment.

hi md cannot play the lossless atrac file but if you rip to atrac 352 it will be awesome and sound perfect just the same as a cd.. about your first question there are no versions of sonic stage that can transfer true sp quality recordings(old sp) its just 132k padded up to 292 for old sp only devices. you must use the hi-md modes to get close to the old 292k quality. 256k sounds just as good. 352 is just slightly better and in most cases just wasting space. none of the hi-md disks formatted in hi-md mode will play on your old equipment.

Reading from Wikipedia, I was under the impression that when storing in ATRAC lossless, you can choose the bitrate for the lossy core of the track (much like the way DTS-MA works in Blu-ray) and in Sonicstage, it says that lossy core will be used for fast transfers to Walkman devices. I'm wondering by choosing 256kbps as the lossy part of the ATRAC lossless, there would be no need for transcoding when downloading music to my Hi-MD player.

All these years of being a fan of Minidisc and not knowing such place existed on internet; shame!

So if format the 80min disc in legacy MD format and transfer files from the latest version of Sonicstage, is it possible to get SP quality audio?

Nope, it's still ~132kbps... There is no SP encoder in SonicStage (due to DOLBY patents/licensing I believe). There are quite a few threads floating around (though searching doesn't seem to help much) regarding this "fake SP".