Recording to video camera

Rate this topic

ratbagradio

I have reviewed all earlier threads of relevance to this topic but I'm still wondering about my present experiments with pairing a inexpensive minidv camcorder with my HiMD.

I run a lead from the minidisc to the microphone as you'd do recording any audio.

I then run a lead from the earphones jack on the HiMD to the camcorder's mic in jack. That way I record the sound using the microphone I have rather than the camcorder's built in microphone. I also get to use the plug in power mics I own rather than having to purchase a mic with its own power/pre-amp..

I'm assuming that what I'm doing is securing a better quality sound, position my mics selectively for best effect and utilising the HiMD's automatic gain option to level out my audio.

I, of course, would have no gain moderation if I just plugged the microphone into my camcorder.

But is this actually happening or am I kidding myself. Is "gain" in place as the recording is made and before it is SAVED to the disc?

I also find that if I insert a two way plug at the remote controller on the headphones lead I can not only get the 'good' ound into the video recording but I can also plug in a set of earphone to monitor whats' happening sound wise.

In effect I have a rig in two parts: video + audio -- working to each other's advantage. In terms of end product is this worth the effort?

that is one way to do it

Mic Placement is one of the Biggest keys to good sound , Quality of preamp , and Mic is the #1 spot but Placement determines the Majority of what you are going to get .

Sanyo has realized this and recently released something just for that purpose , I have not heard them yet , but plan on buying these when I can afford it .

http://www.sanyo-audio.com/icr/common/accesory_hmw300.html

use Babelfish to translate it .

http://www.amazon.co.jp/三洋...;/dp/B000VK8IEO

http://www.outletplaza.co.jp/goods/43921/

I have reviewed all earlier threads of relevance to this topic but I'm still wondering about my present experiments with pairing a inexpensive minidv camcorder with my HiMD.

I run a lead from the minidisc to the microphone as you'd do recording any audio.

I then run a lead from the earphones jack on the HiMD to the camcorder's mic in jack. That way I record the sound using the microphone I have rather than the camcorder's built in microphone. I also get to use the plug in power mics I own rather than having to purchase a mic with its own power/pre-amp..

I'm assuming that what I'm doing is securing a better quality sound, position my mics selectively for best effect and utilising the HiMD's automatic gain option to level out my audio.

I, of course, would have no gain moderation if I just plugged the microphone into my camcorder.

But is this actually happening or am I kidding myself. Is "gain" in place as the recording is made and before it is SAVED to the disc?

I also find that if I insert a two way plug at the remote controller on the headphones lead I can not only get the 'good' ound into the video recording but I can also plug in a set of earphone to monitor whats' happening sound wise.

In effect I have a rig in two parts: video + audio -- working to each other's advantage. In terms of end product is this worth the effort?

Im not sure if the HiMD unit uses its gain function when outputting the sound directly to the headphone jack as it it being recorded. Either way, you can always record the video and sound separately and sync it in Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro or whatever video editing software you are using. Its a fair amount of extra work but that is what you get when using an inexpensive minidv camcorder.