New Sony Restrictions

Rate this topic

no_alibi

(from Techcentral.ie)

Sony is continuing to develop copyright protection technologies that could put the consumer at a disadvantage.

Following the company's recent introduction of CD copyright technology in the US, which made the user's PC vulnerable to hackers, Sony has filed a patent that could threaten the market in second hand games.

The patent granted last month would allow Sony to lock a game disc to the first console the technology was played on so that it could not be then be used on another device. Sony has stated in the patent request that the aim is to protect itself from counterfeit software but conceded the technology could also prevent the sale of used software.

Traditional copy protection works by making it more difficult to make more copies of discs. As this does no more than verify that the game disc is authentic, it can be used on any number of devices.

Well, first time i've heard it.

It sounds absoloutely terrible, Since the invention of the CD the industry has survived without all of this rubbish, i know for one i'd actually feel more inclined to NOT buy anything with such corporate protection on it.

So many problems:

Take a CD, for example, i'm sure many own or use multiple CD players, perhaps one in the living room, bedroom, kithchen, car, portable... etc. Play it in any one of those and it is instantly restricted to it, furthermore if the player stops working then that CD and every other one with the 'protection' on it become waste!!

Surely sony have foreseen these issues??

Pata2001, i surely hope you are right.

I for one am on my 5th PS2, so concerning games the same problems are present.

"The patent granted last month would allow Sony to lock a game disc to the first console the technology was played on so that it could not be then be used on another device"

What halfwit thought up that idea !

What happens if you upgrade your PS2.

What about stores that may a demonstrate game on their machine then shrink wrap and sell it, a consumer nightmare.

Plus I don't quite see how it would work...

This would require rewritable cds or dvds or umds, or online registration.

Otherwise how could the console tell if the game has been used on another console?

Online registration is the more plausible but that would mean that

you would have to have an internet connection everytime you want to play...

Guest Stuge

This is old news. The rumor was for the PS3. Sony has said they won't use this.

Hi Pata,

thanks for the info.. :wave:

Since this is an old news & Sony is not gonna use this ..so i think disscussion on this thread is useless..