Anyone remember the launch of the MZ-R35?

Rate this topic

Soundbox

I have mentioned this machine before but I am really trying to find out some more info and user comments. Looking at the equipment browser, it was bought out nearly a year later than the MZ-R50. So, was this a 'budget' machine based on older MZ-R30 technology or was it an MZ-R50 in a more traditional package?

I always thought that the MZ-R50 replaced the R30, but where did the R35 fit in?

I would value your thoughts as all I remember is the shops showing off the R50's and never seeing the R35 for sale. It is almost funny to me to see more of the older recorders now in 2011. I have picked up two R35's - both mint/boxed for under $10 each. Just amazing...

Anyway, please share your thoughts and memories.

I have mentioned this machine before but I am really trying to find out some more info and user comments. Looking at the equipment browser, it was bought out nearly a year later than the MZ-R50. So, was this a 'budget' machine based on older MZ-R30 technology or was it an MZ-R50 in a more traditional package?

I always thought that the MZ-R50 replaced the R30, but where did the R35 fit in?

I would value your thoughts as all I remember is the shops showing off the R50's and never seeing the R35 for sale. It is almost funny to me to see more of the older recorders now in 2011. I have picked up two R35's - both mint/boxed for under $10 each. Just amazing...

Anyway, please share your thoughts and memories.

Where did you pick them up?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian. I totally agree. The R30 / R35 are great machines, in many ways the equal of the R50 which attracts much higher prices, presumably due to the thinner design. So I now know who is snapping up all the R35s on eBay!

Do you find the non-Sony batteries to be as good as the Sony originals, or do you fork out for the genuine product?

Jim

PS - do I perhaps recognise the blue R50 in the centre as the one I have just repaired for you?

I do try to restrain myself and mostly the older units come from the local paper rather than eBay - at least with going to collect a unit I can try it and ask questions. Yes Jim - well spotted - that was the R50 you fixed for me!

Concerning the batteries I am still on my supply of original Sony ones - I got some cheap when I worked in the trade (I could order them at 'parts' price of