MD + iTunes + n/w =

Rate this topic

bluecrab

Oh yeah! You can share iTunes libraries among networked computers and then go optical digital out, using an MD deck as a DAC, to get outstanding sound. WIsh I'd thought of this sooner. (You don't really have to share the iTunes lib, it's just that I do not have a computer near my MD deck...enter laptop!) The MDS-JA333ES DAC handles the iTunes output quite well. Wonderful invention, MD is. It really deserved a better fate.

Oh yeah! You can share iTunes libraries among networked computers and then go optical digital out, using an MD deck as a DAC, to get outstanding sound. WIsh I'd thought of this sooner. (You don't really have to share the iTunes lib, it's just that I do not have a computer near my MD deck...enter laptop!) The MDS-JA333ES DAC handles the iTunes output quite well. Wonderful invention, MD is. It really deserved a better fate.

Right now I use my JB980 as a DAC with my computer, exactly like you said. And even more, I use DFX Enhancer (fxsound.com) for Winamp. As DFX is also available with iTunes, you will be happy to discover that, using lossless quality files or a CD, you can have a better sound than any so-called high-end CD player once you connect your MD deck to a good amplifier. My Cyrus IIIi don't have any optical in entry so I am glad to use my deck. I am just sad that my deck does not have more than one S/PDIF, I must use the coaxial for a second connection.

Minidiscs were designed to be a standalone media. The magneto-optical technology, the recording and editing, the absolute focus on sound quality....none of this required any interaction with the computer. That was the original essence of MD.

Sony in later years did try to make the downloading process to minidiscs easier through Sonicstage and Simpleburner. But it was apparent right away that it was just not possible to fully integrate the technology of minidiscs with the developments on the PC/Mac side. So that was that. MD is now a niche market which will continue to exist but only for professionals and die-hard fans.

If you need to enjoy iTunes you should just buy the most expensive audio equipment you can afford and feed it the output from your computer. MD was never designed for that in my opinion (though minidisc units admittedly do have very good DACs on board). Perhaps one day a new format will emerge that can fulfill all these requirements. But I can't see it happening anytime soon.