Help with 24bit

Rate this topic

damnspynovels

Actually I'm not quite sure how to describe my question...

I've just got a Jb940 - and I've read somewhere in the instructions about improving sound quality by adjusting the bit rate? I'm not referring to LP etc, but something to do with changing the bits between 16, 20, and 24?

My set up would include a CD player that I think has a 24bit BurrBrown DAC in it, and a MacBook which I'll transfer audio (likely of 16bit origin) optically - but otherwise I'll be using analogue inputs.

So what / how does this bit selection factor in the process?

Yeah that would make sense, but I think I also read something about how it only affects digital output?

That´s correct. The 24 bit setting affects the digital output only, the input (digital or analogue) is always 24 bits. It´s for transferring WideBitStream recordings with full quality. Switching to 16 bit will dither the 24 bit files to 16 bits without truncating values. In case you are using your JB940 with an external DAC (or an amp with digital inputs) I´d set it to 24 bit. It doesn´t matter how it was recorded as MD always encodes with 24 bit precision.

That´s correct. The 24 bit setting affects the digital output only, the input (digital or analogue) is always 24 bits. It´s for transferring WideBitStream recordings with full quality. Switching to 16 bit will dither the 24 bit files to 16 bits without truncating values. In case you are using your JB940 with an external DAC (or an amp with digital inputs) I´d set it to 24 bit. It doesn´t matter how it was recorded as MD always encodes with 24 bit precision.

So you might as well just keep it on 24bit - just in case?