NW-A3000 Slow When Heavily Loaded

Rate this question

Count Zero

Question

Has anyone else experienced problems with really slow operation on the NWA 3000 when ?

I’ve got a lot of music on there – 4500 songs, filling up over 16Gb (all ATRAC132, all fields automatically populated by gracenote).

When I select some of the menu options, it can take 15-20 seconds to move from one menu to another. In some of the lists it can take 15 seconds to move from one track/artist to the next.The unit looks and sounds great, but this makes it really hard, and frustrating to use.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received (even if it’s just confirmation that with this kind of loading, the unit is normally this slow!).

I’ve had a number of Sony products in the past, and always loved them. Right now I wish I’d bought a Creative…

9 answers to this question

Thanks for the suggestion, Ishiyoshi.

Looked at the drive using Windows Disk Defragmenter, and it advised that the drive didn't need a defrag. I could try it anyway i suppose.

I was wondering if the reason for slow navigation was down to the number of tracks (if so how would it deal with 13,000!) or to the fact that 88% of the free disk space is utilised.

Anyone experienced the same thing?

Defragmenting helps, even if the Defrag program says it's not necessary or there's not enough space to do it. It's slow not because of the amount of music you have. It happens even with more free space available. It's just some mistake in the firmware and the way the database file is placed, I believe.

I had exactly the same problem. 20-30secs between lists and scrolling down them.

This thing has been driving me nuts. Software updates, firmware updates.....

Anyway i did the defrag from my pc. took a while even though it said it was only 1% fragmented.

It is now superquick and i have about 1800 songs on it.

Try it it worked for me. Now smooth as you like.

Still slow in places when it's playing but overall very useable

:D

Thanks Zepnut.

The Defrag worked, despite the program stating that I didn't need to and it wouldn't work with so little free space. Took a long time (30 minutes or so), but it now works like a charm. IN fact it's working faster than it ever has done before.

I'm in love with my NW-A3000 again. :D

I have had the same problem with my A3000 but I think it all started when I upgraded to SonicStage 4.0. When I was on previous versions the player was much quicker. I have been thinking of trying to install version. 3.4 again but do not have the confidence!

I'll try the defrag suggestion and see if it makes any difference.

I...... I have been thinking of trying to install version. 3.4 again but do not have the confidence!.....

I would suggest doing it :lol: , but just remember your gonna be starting from scratch again. If you do, back up all your tracks with GYM.