MO/MD Fascination

Rate this topic

Tropicanajones

Hello,

I have been fascinated with this technology for the past couple of months. What got me started on this was a scene from the Matrix, where Neo hands the guy that comes to his door a disc. I actually have purchased the exact same model as in the movie, and love it as a little desk prop at work.

Since then I have just been looking for a way to use this format in some fashion. I love cartridge based storage for some reason, it just has a much more mechanical satisfaction than a USB flash drive. I was hoping some of you folks might be able to get me started with some information, as when I have searched for a medium to use, a lot of the drives use SCSI or other non-usb ports. I wanted to use this for data storage.

Is there a USB based drive that can support this storage medium? Is there something similar that might also be as mechanically satisfying as the MO/MD format? I'd prefer if it had an actual platter disc, not something like floppy. I saw Sony made something similar called UMD, but that appears to be a proprietary medium for their PSP and not usable for personal storage.

Is there something newer that I should look into? I really am just looking for any cartridge based storage thats a bit on the smaller side like MO/MD that I can use with a modern computer. Thought this forum would be a good place to start.

Thanks

Hi, there is also the ZIP disc format but it will ne kindly difficult to find the discs. Sadly the technology was previous to USB connection.

MD is perfect if you have a Net-MD portable unit (see the browser of minidisc.org). Hi-MD allow you to store more datas on the 1 Gb discs but they are a lot axpensive nowadays. The standard 60'/74'/80' discs are much more cheaper but have less place for data storage. At least the durability of the storage is fantastic compared to a HDD or a CD/DVD. Nonetheless, you also could store your datas on several DVDs (2 or 3 backups of each DVD), using the best quality you can buy, they are just much more easier to find than MDs...