NWHD5 startup clicking failure

Rate this question

jonixz

Question

Basically, my NWHD5 has been broken for a while, the recurring problem is that when i startup i see the swirl, then it turns off, when its trying to start i can hear clicking.

On some occasions the player has started, only to turn off moments later. :sad:

I'd really love to get my player working again, as im using my phone for a player (10 tracks max...)

If anyone could help id be eternally grateful

I've tried to install new firmware, but because the player wont start i cant do it

4 answers to this question

Basically, my NWHD5 has been broken for a while, the recurring problem is that when i startup i see the swirl, then it turns off, when its trying to start i can hear clicking.

On some occasions the player has started, only to turn off moments later. :sad:

I'd really love to get my player working again, as im using my phone for a player (10 tracks max...)

If anyone could help id be eternally grateful

I've tried to install new firmware, but because the player wont start i cant do it

Sounds like harddrive failure and or damage to me.

Yes I had exactly the same problem and I'm afraid it is bad news...

I live in Hong Kong so luckily its very easy to get to a Sony service centre, just a walk-in affair, very quick. I took my HD5 in, they sent it to their technician, within a week he called me up and told me it is indeed a Hard Disk failure...

Anyway I told them to fix it whatever the cost (mines a hd5h -30gig -so i really cant see anything else id like to replace that with at the moment that would have the same capacity / quality in such a small size)...

It was ready for me to collect within 2 weeks of giving it to them -job well done. Only snag is the cost: it was more than HK$2000 (only about 300 dollars for labour so this was mostly for the new hard drive) So thats a large chunk of the 230 pounds I paid for the thing when i bought it in England.

As you can see on this forum many people will tell you that you can replace the hard drive yourself, i dont know what your technical expertise is but if you do that you will save a lot of money (and maybe even upgrade to 40gigs or more apperently!). Personally I dont know too much when it comes to fiddling with tiny electronics etc so i just paid up and i feel it was worth it as it was (slightly) cheaper and a whole lot easier than tracking down a new replacement HD5h.

There's people who think ive been a bit daft there, but most of em own big chunky nasty sounding ipods so they dont really understand. In my view Even Sony themselves havnt been able to offer a suitable hd5 replacement yet so im sticking with it, besides we all know longer battery life and better sound quality beats being able to watch music videos on the bus.