Question regarding Sony's International Warranty?

Rate this topic

.baby_dubz.

Not sure if this belongs in this section, but mods, feel free to move it if it isn't

I have a friend who's going to Japan in a few week and I was planning to ask him to pick me up a few Sony toys ;)

The prices are cheaper, however, my friend told me to consider the warranty and not just the cheaper price when I'm deciding.

So my question is, if I were to buy..let's say a camera from Japan. If I were to use it here in Canada and I find something wrong (ie, manufacterer's defect, etc) that is covered by warranty, would I be able to walk into a Sony store, or call in to Sony and tell them? Would they honour my warranty here? Or is it strictly limited to the region where it was purchased?

Not sure if this belongs in this section, but mods, feel free to move it if it isn't

I have a friend who's going to Japan in a few week and I was planning to ask him to pick me up a few Sony toys ;)

The prices are cheaper, however, my friend told me to consider the warranty and not just the cheaper price when I'm deciding.

So my question is, if I were to buy..let's say a camera from Japan. If I were to use it here in Canada and I find something wrong (ie, manufacterer's defect, etc) that is covered by warranty, would I be able to walk into a Sony store, or call in to Sony and tell them? Would they honour my warranty here? Or is it strictly limited to the region where it was purchased?

If I remember correctly, Sony does include a one year International Warranty for its “Overseas Models” sold in Japan; and it will be honored in all 46 countries that Sony operates. However, certain Sony products such as the VAIO and BRAVIA may have different policies regarding International Warranty. For the majority of Sony “Overseas Models”, you should be able to walk into (or shipped the faulty/damaged item to) your local Sony Service Center or authorized distributors for free repair service covered by the International Warranty.

*topic moved to its appropriate section of the forum.

Dude

My A608(I still love it very much :-) ) was bought in Dubai, and when it broke down over here I just went to the Sony Centre and gave my warranty card. That's all... They accepted it and fixed it with no charges...

While there I saw a guy with a VAIO from the US, they took that too...

Actually the thing is that you need to read your warranty card to check the in which countries your warranty is valid. If in the japanese camera, Canada is mentioned then you are good to go...

Dude

My A608(I still love it very much :-) ) was bought in Dubai, and when it broke down over here I just went to the Sony Centre and gave my warranty card. That's all... They accepted it and fixed it with no charges...

While there I saw a guy with a VAIO from the US, they took that too...

Actually the thing is that you need to read your warranty card to check the in which countries your warranty is valid. If in the japanese camera, Canada is mentioned then you are good to go...

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: Really?! Was yours a Overseas model? My friend told me they also sell Overseas models which means that there is international warranty, but it costs more than the one that comes with just the in-country warranty

I just called Sony Canada and they say the warranty is only covered in the country you bought it in. You bought ur A608 in Dubai, so wouldn't the warranty card be in another language?.

I was thinking about sending the player back to Japan if I had a problem so it'd get repaired in Japan and they'd send it back. Would that work?

But then again...how often do these things break? I bought a VGF-AP1L brand new off eBay and havent had a single problem for over a year, so even if i DID have a problem, it wouldn't be covered now anyways.

Sony build quality FTW? :unsure:

Edited by .baby_dubz.