Sony NWZ-A8xx

Rate this question

juli_

Question

I was lurking at Amazon as usual, and noticed that the 818 has 11 5-star reviews so far. People are loving it.

But when I looked at the 808 reviews, the ratings were slightly lower, with users knocking off stars because of SonicStage.

So it was nice to see the 818 got maximum ratings based solely on performance and sound quality (now there is no complaint about the software!)

Seems Sony are attracting a whole new crowd of fans, and that can only be good news. I always thought it was sad that SS put people off trying the later flash players, which, let's face it - are brilliant. I think most of the 818 reviews compare it (automatically) with the iPod.

One reviewer said his iPod would be going straight in the bin :lol:

Anyway, I feel ridiculously pleased that other people are getting to appreciate how good the Sony sound really is. As soon as SS was dropped, the praise started coming in from all angles. I'm always telling my friends to try a Sony, but their main priority has always been ease of use, with SQ coming second. Well, now they can have both!

9 answers to this question

I know I'm one of those people. Despite the reports of good sound quality I never even considered a Sony because of ATRAC and Sonicstage. When they finally dropped those my ears perked up and after a good deal of research I decided to go with the 818 as my first flash player (good timing since I was just about to get a Samsung T9 when I heard about Sony dropping ATRAC and SS). I like it a lot except I wish it could do GAPLESS.

It's great to see overwhelming positive reviews for the latest DAP from Sony. At least, it's a very nice comeback for Sony Walkman, no doubt about that.

I haven't seen a negative user review from CNET either so far.

While dropping SS was a good move for most people, I also believe that the bundled earphones (MDR-EX082) is a major contributor for the reason why this DAP is having such popularity now.

I can't believe I have read the Amazon reviews like almost 10x (for each one) simply in anticipation in wating for the player to come in this week! The player itself would have 5 stars, if it was not for the 2 star rating from this complete idiot who doesn't even own the device and apparently has the nerve to call it a few steps backward (WTF?) because:

"But what does Sony do? They deliver a unit that has a storage capacity of only 8 GB! 8!! That's IT! Can you believe that? I can't. Meanwhile, Apple has a player coming out with 20 TIMES that storage! I lower my head in embarrassment for Sony. There was a time when they LEAD the pack, but now? They're a polio-stricken dog with one of its legs missing."

Someone has issues, and I just hate it when some people ruin the ratings when they CLEARLY don't even own the product!

Still waiting for the player like an excited kid, guess my Christmas present is coming early hehehe :D

Edited by cliffster115

if it was not for the 2 star rating from this complete idiot who doesn't even own the device and apparently has the nerve to call it a few steps backward (WTF?) because:

"But what does Sony do? They deliver a unit that has a storage capacity of only 8 GB! 8!! That's IT! Can you believe that? I can't. Meanwhile, Apple has a player coming out with 20 TIMES that storage! I lower my head in embarrassment for Sony. There was a time when they LEAD the pack, but now? They're a polio-stricken dog with one of its legs missing."

Someone has issues, and I just hate it when some people ruin the ratings when they CLEARLY don't even own the product!

I know, how ignorant to rate it low because "8GB isn't big enough"?? I was so peeved I left a comment at Amazon.com :D :D :D

I can understand if someone slates a product because it doesn't do what it should - but to criticise an 8GB player for being. . . 8GB??

My Sony TV is only 32" - should I complain because it isn't 40"?

Edited by juli

I know, how ignorant to rate it low because "8GB isn't big enough"?? I was so peeved I left a comment at Amazon.com :D :D :D

I can understand if someone slates a product because it doesn't do what it should - but to criticise an 8GB player for being. . . 8GB??

My Sony TV is only 32" - should I complain because it isn't 40"?

Juli,

As a Sony Walkman veteran, will you be trading your NW-A80* for a brand new NWZ-81*?????

As a Sony Walkman veteran, will you be trading your NW-A80* for a brand new NWZ-81*?????

Ha ha ha ha - NO!!! Like everyone else, I was up in arms when I thought new buyers would get the sweeter deal with Atrac/SS dead and buried - until I realised I'd miss all the features I have on the 808, ratings, on-the-fly playlists, gapless, gapless and gapless. . . :lol:

So definitely not - I'm very attached to all the 808 features and I couldn't stand to sacrifice gapless

Ha ha ha ha - NO!!! Like everyone else, I was up in arms when I thought new buyers would get the sweeter deal with Atrac/SS dead and buried - until I realised I'd miss all the features I have on the 808, ratings, on-the-fly playlists, gapless, gapless and gapless. . . :lol:

So definitely not - I'm very attached to all the 808 features and I couldn't stand to sacrifice gapless

oh man, i really hope sony gets a firmware out to us NWZ owners! I want those features! Especially Gapless. haha gapless gapless... everyone wants gapless while listenin to DnB mixes or trance mixes! :lol:

Edited by cliffster115

oh man, i really hope sony gets a firmware out to us NWZ owners! I want those features! Especially Gapless. haha gapless gapless... everyone wants gapless while listenin to DnB mixes or trance mixes! :lol:

This is too funny - NWZ owners want features from the NWA series - and NWA owners want features from the NWZ series!!

Now if only Sony would make an NWZANWAZZZZZ-AAA818808 series, we could all be happy :lol: