Sony Insider Forums

Sharp NetMD SonicStage+ File transfer

Thanks. It's more a case of frustration rather than panic - I assume "panic not" come from Frankie Howard

Several times I have tried to updater driver as follows:- NetMD in Device manager > update - browse > temp file where amended .INF is located > Next. I then get message "Windows could not find drivers software"

I 've also tried using Scan for hardware changes. It tries to install drivers but then shows - Devices driver was not sucessfully> NetMD no drivers found.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't panic.... HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy, surely?

You need the .INF, .CAT and .SYS all together, do you have that? (And the "amended" one must be called NETMD760.INF, any old versions must be saved with a different name).

It looked like the drivers were going to install but then I got the message:- Windows encountered a problem installing software for your device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it ..... The driver installation for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later.

Oh dear! I have seen this before, and basically it means one of two things:

a. you didn't get the modification to the INF file exactly right or

b. you have to get rid of some bad file from the installed directory, specifically it will be the last or last but one file (by date) with the name oemxy.inf (the numbers x and y should follow date order) in the windowsinf directory.

Notes:

1. windowsinf is a hidden directory - you will have to get your friend to show you how to view hidden files (I guess you can always google it)

2. you should check the oemxy.inf files' contents to make sure you are deleting the correct one. My guess is your PREVIOUS version (with the error in it) is lurking and has to be destroyed.

Good luck!

Stephen

Hi Guys

Sorry I haven't been arround for a few days. This problem feels is a bit like mountain climbing and I had to rest before making another push to the summit. Here's where I am.

Via Google I learned how and where to find oem.inf files. There's are several files. I've tried removing them completely or in various combinations with no luck. Strangely there was no .inf file that matched that which I posted on 7-1-12

You should NOT touch any file which isn't the one you modified and half-installed. In fact arranging the inf directory by date (in details view in Explorer) should catch it quite nicely.

Something else. Did you actually call it NetMD76.inf? There's an 0 missing from that name - i.e. NetMD760.inf.

The reference to NetMD76.inf was a typo on my part

There seems to be about 16.inf files generated since I first tried to install SS. However I think only the last 3 are relevant as they appear to be different versions of the modified NetMD760. The earliest dated opens into a screen which I then have to OK. The 2 later dated open straight into the file. Which of these files do I delete

I am very grateful for the considerable efforts that you are making to sort out my problem. However I don't think I am understanding the process.

I've checked again.

I have deleted (though not permenantly) a number of .inf files named oem26 to oem35 and dated since we began this process. All except one referred to SONY NETMD. The exception referred to SHARP NETMD.

(a) should these files have been deleted or only the contents

(B) should the SONYM.SUS.INF files that remain be deleted or just their content?

If this situation is becoming to much of a problem, please let me know. Maybe the solution is finding a SONYMD.

nope. you're doing just fine

yes they should be simply deleted. They are copies of files which the installer has found somewhere else, to be truthful.

Now you need to do final check using the instructions in this post

to get rid of all "ghost" NetMD drivers.

At that point the correctly edited version of NetMD760.inf should be able to be installed.

Sucess at last

Well done. I remember going through roughly the same set of machinations when I first tried to do something like this.

Thank you for all your assistance and great patience.

I'm just pleased it worked.

I will either post a separate version for Sharp, or more likely modify the standard version to continue being the world's largest omnibus USB driver. Thank you for persisting because it helps everyone who comes after you, too.

I think what cracked it finally was that I noticed that somewhere in the process the modified NETMD760 file had become corrupted. Under %NETMUSB device... modification the referencse to Sharp at the end of each modified line had disapeared. As soon I reinserted them Hey presto it worked. The correct modification is shown in my post of 7/1/12 - copy of amended file. I hope this may assist in helping others.

Once again many thanks

We should probably add a few things into that file, and I guess I will also upload my modified NETMD052.INF as well. There are still a few units missing, such as the ATRAC/SonicStage capable NWZ series of which I am about to acquire one, so there's no panic on this......

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I've hit problems which I think are related to SS

1. Sharp MD via my Win 7 64 bit PC. I cannot transfer any kind of audio file. SS attempted to transfer but then shows an error message stating that file(s) cannot be transferred. None of these files have beeen transferred before. The same result using my old XP PC

2. Sony MZ-N707 (which I have borrowed) - initially the same problem with Win7. However I sucessfully transferred a file using SS on my old XP PC. I was then able to sucessfully load other files via SS on my Win 7. It is almost as if SS needed to be kick started.

Your help would again be much appreciated.

Tony

Different problem.

As a start, remove the files (you didn't say what KIND of file) from the database (not from the computer, just from SS) and re-add them.

Since many files have to be converted depending on your destination you may have a problem, but it's more likely that the database is corrupt. If there's not too many, do it this way. But if it's massive we may be able to help you validate it online.

Most of all, tell us the types and exact NAMES of the files. If they need conversion it may be that the conversion directory is full or doesn't exist.

SHARP MD - I deleted all the files from SS. I then imported just one MP3 track ripped from a CD. No tracks from this CD have been transferred previously. The file appeared to convert OK but then failed to transfer to MD. The error message stated unable to convert. I also tried a self recorded backing track recorded on Audacity and saved as an MP3 but still got the same result.

SONY MD - both tracks transferred OK albeit a bit slowly.

Forget MP3, for the moment, please. Far too many variations of MP3 for us to rule that out as a cause.

Try simply ripping a CD to LP2 using SonicStage, and see whether THOSE will transfer without problems.

OK, so that means there's something weird about the MP3's you are trying to use.

Here's 1 clue - many MP3 software players will CHANGE the file after/during playing it. So the problem is now, that Sonic Stage does not like the file changing behind its back.

Here's a second clue - it's possible that conversion of ANY kind is failing because you need space (specified in Sonic Stage configuration somewhere. Now you know what you're looking for, I am sure you will find it). on the HD to store the temporary "optimized files" before sending them to the NetMD. It may well be that there is no room, or permissions are wrong, or (most likely) the location specified there simply doesn't exist. Try checking that, and pointing to somewhere that does, that you have permission to write to. Note, SS should always be run by an administrator (or at LEAST Power User) because of the permissions problem.