MZ-NH600D: Can it upload ANYTHING?

Rate this topic

hpmoon

So, the MZ-NH600D cannot record music, but it can be used to store computer data. Also, that computer data can be (of course) transferred from the Hi-MD player to the computer via USB.

Technically, then, it's a two-way pipe.

According to the latest developments or proposals (from TotalRecorder to HIMDRENDER to TMPGEnc to Sony's promised converter), is it possible in any way at all to:

1. Upload Hi-MD music from the MZ-NH600D to a computer for conversion; or

2. Upload standard-MD music from the MZ-NH600D to a computer for conversion.

Any help would be much appreciated. (But please, answer carefully -- I've found in this world that "impossible" is rarely ever true!)

1. Yes and no. Yes, it can upload Hi-MD music, if it has been recorded on another Hi-MD recorder through LineIn/Optical/Microphone.

No, it cannot upload music that has been previously downloaded via SonicStage onto a disc.

2. No. You have to go via headphone out to LineIn of the Soundcard.

1. Yes and no. Yes, it can upload Hi-MD music, if it has been recorded on another Hi-MD recorder through LineIn/Optical/Microphone.

No, it cannot upload music that has been previously downloaded via SonicStage onto a disc.

2. No. You have to go via headphone out to LineIn of the Soundcard.

Responses to:

1. I get the second part of that, and don't care -- respecting that Sony is paranoid about copy management. Glad to hear about the first part.

2. BUT, are you sure you're up on the latest (dare I say the word) "hacks" in this regard? Again, it defies logic that if the MZ-NH600D can function as a data drive, the content cannot be pulled back into the computer, even if that means going around Sony's official platform. As far as I'm concerned, it's not even worth mentioning an analog recording from a headphone jack -- after impedance-matching, noise et al., not an option.

Well if you mean uploading computer data files then thats completely possible but music in atrac format on the machine can not be uploaded

So when I mount the music-filled standard-MD disc via USB, it shows up as a removable drive that's empty? There are no OMA or whatever files to drag off the "drive"? How about hacks to pierce into the "drive"? Did Sony create a way to partition MDs into, on the one hand, their music content, totally f#@!ing protected, and, on the other hand, data storage content, freely transferable via USB?

well not exactly .....there are files on the disc that you can see and open the folder that the atrac files are on but if you drag them off the drive i dont believe it would do much more then screw up your disc and make the file that you draged off ussless....and its not like there is one file per song wither....it is a confusing setup but yes you could drag off the data but nothing couldbe doone with it

even if you were to drag an oma file onto the drive without any music on it the player wouldnt play it its only tranferable through sonicstage

OK, then, I'm reading all of this carefully but must be missing out on the fundamental distinctions between the 600 and the 700/800/1/etc. Hi-MD devices. On the latter, recording Hi-MD models, is it somehow possible (today or in the future) to move the music from non-Hi-MD disks, inserted into the Hi-MD recorder, via USB to a computer? If so, why not the 600?

OK, then, I'm reading all of this carefully but must be missing out on the fundamental distinctions between the 600 and the 700/800/1/etc. Hi-MD devices.  On the latter, recording Hi-MD models, is it somehow possible (today or in the future) to move the music from non-Hi-MD disks, inserted into the Hi-MD recorder, via USB to a computer?  If so, why not the 600?

Only if the disk is formatted in Hi-MD format (305 Mb). Same holds tru for the 600. Regular MD or NetMD formatted disks cannot be uploaded by any player.