I need some help, please don't be to harsh....

Rate this topic

emptyzero

The MD screen is flashing "Display" and the remote is flashing "In Menu" then it goes back to:

00 00:00 --- with the battery and disc in the upper right

I try to job to select my recording mode but the remote just goes back to flashing "In Menu" and will not let me jog anywhere or display anything.

I have a blank disc in and it's set to the default Hi-SP Hi-MD mode. I don't mean to sound incredible stupid but I'm going through the manual and it's telling me to just jog to all of these menue options but it just flashes "In Menu" when I try to go anywhere. What am I doing wrong? I followed step by step with the manual but can get no where in the menu to do anything unsure.gif

I hit Menu on the unit, the unit starts to flash Display. I go to the remote to navigate the menu, jog once the back light comes on and In Menu starts to flash....flashes 5 times then goes back to showing 00 00:00.

I go back to the unit and it's still flashing Display. I hit Menu again and CANCEL appears on the unit.

I know I'm slow, but not this slow. I should be able to hit the Menu button on the unit and jog through the menu on the remote but I can't get passed the flashing In Menu on the remote. It won't let me go ANYWHERE.

I'm just wondering why i cant go anywhere if its "In Menu" like it says it is.

jog up, jog down, hold jog in...nothing...it just flashes "In Menu" 5 times and goes back to 00 00:00. Is the unit suspose to keep flashing Display when you're "In Menu"? Ok I'll stop with the frantic multi-posting, I'm sure it gets a little annoying. Maybe I just need to walk away from it, have a beer and chill out. Just bummed about EITS, it was already a 50min drive to a 9:30pm show...I just don't even know if I want to deal with that if I can't pop the cherry on this beast. I hope I'm just being an idiot about something. I hope it's not damaged or malfunctioning. I've removed the battery twice.

If you're in the menu on the MD unit itself then you wont be able to access the menu via the remote control. You will have to exit the menu on the MD first.

Press the "menu" button on the MD unit itself (NOT the remote control) to exit the MD's menu. Then, and only then, are you able to access the menu via the remote control.

Same thing is visa-versa. If you are in the menu on the remote control you will not be able to access the menu on the MD unit itself. You will need to press STOP on the remote control before you can access the menu on the MD unit in this case.

Thanks for the post. Without touch the unit I try to access the menu on the remote and just get a flashing "NO TRACK" Without touching the remote, I try to access the menu by pressing Menu on the unit. That gives me a flashing "Display" when I try to navigate the menu on the unit I get a flashing "NO TRACK" or "Lap Time."

It sounds like you are getting all confused.

If you use the menu's on the unit then you need to navigate them from the unit. If you use the menu's on the remote then you navigate using the remote. You cant goto the menu on the unit & navigate on the remote.

Using the remote is fiddly at first & then it will click in your mind and seem so easy.

To access the menu on the remote just keep the roller pressed down until the menu pops up (about 3 seconds). I think you were just pressing it down quickly and bringing up the play menu & as there are no tracks on the disc it is saying "No Track".

Hope this helps.

Once again thank you for the posts, they are appreciated. At this point I have unplugged the remote and I'm completely ignoring it for a while.

A440, with the unit completely shut off I held the Menu button in for 5 seconds and got a flashing "Display" and the only way to get rid of it was to press Menu once more which Canceled the request.

Seikeden, yep...out of the box and onto the charger for 60 minutes. Once it was fully charged I began trying to access the Menu right away. I was particularly interested in getting to the REC Mode settings. Honestly, I was so indimidated by it the first night (friday) that I didn't do anything besides take everything out of the box. I would be very interested in hearing how you went about setting the menu mode? I'll look in the manual for that. (ahhh I see it at the top of page 27!)

Held Menu in for 5 seconds and got the flashing Display. Used the FR portion of the 5-way control to try and navigate the menu as the manual says on page 28. That gives me a flashing Lap Time. Pressing FR again just brings up the flashing No Track.

I take it I'm not even in the menu. How can I get passed the flashing Display and into t he menu? I must need to set the menu mode?

Page 27 - "If you are doing a menu operation for the first time after purchasing the recorder "Menu Mode" flashes in the display."

I do not get a flashing "Menu Mode" I get a flashing "Display." I'm really confused as to why I'm getting Display instead of Menu Mode. Nothing else is being done, just holding Menu for 5 seconds.

Ok Latexxx I will try that next, thanks...but first I wanted to post that I'm on page 66 of the manual trying to set the Menu Mode.

1. "Enter the menu and select "Options" - "Menu Mode"

Still can't get passed the flashing "Display" into the "Options" in order to set the menu mode to 'simple' or 'advanced'

Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L --> PA-6LC2 pre-amp --> Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD

I played some music off of my stereo and recorded it. It plays back fine but when I hold the menu button on the unit down for a good 5 seconds I still only get the flashing Display. I try to navigate from there using the 5-way control and I get the Lap Time. :sad:

important update in the NOOB saga of the week.

I can access the menu from the remote by holding in the job for a few seconds but accessing the menu from the unit by holding in the menu button for a few to 5 seconds is still a no go. Maybe the flashing Display is the first option in the menu? either way...no matter which way I navigate on the 5-way control all I get is Lap Time.

access the menu via remote yes smile.gif

access the menu via the unit no sad.gif

You were right Latexxx smile.gif after having recorded something (not right away) I can now SOMEWHAT access the menu on the unit. Now when pressing menu on the unit instead of getting a flashing Display I get a flashing Edit, I try to FR down to more options and get Format ---> NO. This still seems weird to me but at least I'm not stuck with a flashing Display every time I hit menu on the unit.

I appears that I can access the Menu fully on the remote so I'll live with that for now smile.gif Thank you to all who took the time to post, please keep posting if you think there is anything I should know and or try.

just wanted to say to emptyzero that i find the

5 way control quite fiddly also it makes me change track when I just wanted to adjust the volume so I use the remote as much as possible (NHF800). Though when I do use the wheel I tend not to rotate my thumb in a big circle cos it really starts to ache my thumb, so I just move it up or down on the right side of the stick. Do you see what I mean?

Using the unit alone, you're in the Menu after you hold the menu button for five seconds. Then you need to use the rocker button in the center of the wheel.

Display and Edit are Menu options. When you push the center button straight down (vertically, into the unit) it gives you submenus for each option. You can Display: Lap Time or Rec Remain, for example. To go down the list of menu options (and submenu options), rock the button up (if it was a clock it would be toward 12) or down (toward 6).

Some menu options don't appear unless you have a disc in the unit--probably the Rec modes among them.

It bothers me they put enter on the remote twice but menu only once, and you have to hold it in. I was having som,e trouble getting to menu without inadvertantly pausing the playback, but tapping display first seems to work. its a strange beast but give it time and I suppose you get used to the quirks.

A440, that's the kind of post that sets it straight for all of us new guys, thank you. it's still awkward but i'll keep at it. very true Seikeden.

edit: strange how recording something helps to get things going but i'm sure they all can't start out acting that fussy. i'm slowly getting happier about this purchase.

Remember guys, there's a bloke who's selling a dynamite combo for the NH900: http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=6170

If I were to employ such unit, I would probably employ what I've linked as well. I think I'm actually getting a NH900 for Christmas via girlfriend, so looks like it's time to get one of those remotes as well. :happy:

Just so you all know, the NH1 has a dedicated menu button on it that you DO NOT hold down for 5 seconds, you just press it once & you enter the menu.

The remote has the menu button that you need to hold down for 5 seconds.

I just thought I would make that clear as alot of people have said hold the button down for 5 seconds.

emptyzero wrote on the 17th of Otober:

I was particularly interested in getting to the REC Mode settings. Honestly, I was so indimidated by it the first night (friday) that I didn't do anything besides take everything out of the box.

I laughed reading that :grin: - it reminds me that reading the manual took 2 days in a car (driving from Amsterdam towards Slovenia) and then some morning-coffees, before I actually dared to do make my own microphone-recording. From then on, it worked like a dream.

..Except for the moment that the .omg-nightmare really dawned upon me mad.gif , when I was back behind the computer (the rest of that is somewhere among these discussion-threads).

huh.gif I too think that the menu-button-function is somewhat cryptic - having to hold that tiny button for 5 sec's every time..

mellow.gif Does it bother you as well that the MD-player (NH-700) makes this soft whirring noice, just seconds after you start recording (starting from rec+pause) ? In silent surroundings the mic is sensitive enough to pick it up. Keeping the MD-player in my pocket and controlling it from a remote would indeed come in handy!

cheers

AH