HIMD listing program... I could make one.

Rate this topic

marcnet

I posted this in the minidisct forums, but I thought id post here to get a bigger response:

I was experimenting with direct upload (without sonicstage) on my HIMDRenderer program. I got as far as being able to list the track names on the disc. Decoding the audio prooved to be a little moe trickey.

Anyway, I can get a track listing off a hi-md disc. I can develop this into a program so that you can simply copy+paste into Excel, Word, notepad, email etc.

Would anyone be interesting in such a program? What sort of stuff (features) would you like to see ?

A simple database of discs based on disc title would probably suffice. Even just a text listing [i.e. not a spreadsheet or actual database] using individual sequential text files [in Unicode?] per disc with the basics ["album" with indented listing of artist - track# - trackname, track# being optional since it's not really used on HiMD anyway] ... Perhaps not basing it on disc title but rather on whatever the disc's actual IDs are would be better, but I don't actually know how that works or if it's consistent between formats/initialisations.

A better document-based solution would be to use one of the XML doc templates used by OpenOffice would be good. Note that OpenOffice's doc formats have been proposed by the European Union as a good basis for an international / Union standard.

To begin with, a simple listing would be great [and likely not hard to implement].

KJ: godlike-status indeed!

Would this mean that you don't have the restriction for only one upload anymore?

huh?

No... this program would simply list *hence the words "Listing program") the contents of a HI-MD disc. There would be no upload functionality.

If you read my post carefully you would see that I got as far as being able to list the track names on the disc.

Uploading without sonicstage would require

1) The ability to grab the audio data of the HI-MD and set up Sonys DRM databases/files to allow the playing (and the HIMDRendering) of the track

2) Reverse engineering the Sony DRM encryption and creating an ATRAC3 decoder to decode the resultant

Both options are far, far, far away.

Your idea of a listing program would be excellent since with the 1g disc we can have hundreds of tracks. It would be a help to have a listing which could easily be search as well as a backup list incase one needed to recreate a disk's contents.

Best format for your lister to save would be a tab delimited format. commas and quotes COULD find themselves in a listing thereby making it much harder for you to use them as a comma delimited format. TABS on the otherhand would not be use or confused and this format is easily read into databases and spreadsheets. I will use a t for a TAB in my

example below.

data format should be something like this.

First line of file would contain disk specific info (Disk ID and Disk Title) perhapse Total time recorded on Disk and Total number of tracks. I am not sure exactly what info you are able to retrieve. But

I believe all these are useful.

Then a blank line followed by the track listings.

<group> t <track title> t <album> t <artist> t <track time/length>

t <compression>

I got my first MD player ( actually two R500s for my wife and I) which finally died last year (I tried reseting the system defaults after it had sever tracking problems with the laser and now it will not exit

the test mode). Replaced it with a mzn707a for myself and a NetMD player for my wife. Now this year I gained an MZ-NH800 and I love it. So much so that I made a PDF comparing it with MP3 players (perhaps

you can post it or use it).

Back in 1992 I had serious doubts about the new technology but now I think it will hold its own especially if Sony adds native MP3 support. I feel Atrac is supperior but for those who are in doubt laggnig behind still, It may help boost market share.

Allowing Upload was a smart decision (Even if they are taking their time about these things). Your renderer is alot easier and more useful to me than Sony's WAV converter. I think you realize that since people are still looking to your program even with the SONY converter available.

Keep up the good work and Ill paypal you when I get my holiday bonus.

Phillip

Hi, there

Say, Marcnet... Could there be a way to, some day, upload via USB original MD (SP Mode, 292 Atrac) recordings to the computer using a Hi-MD recorder? Would digital source recordings be uploadable? How about microphone recordings?

Or should we discard all of those options FOREVER because technically there's not a chance in the world to do that? Should we keep on transfering 1x thru the sound card or should we hold those recordings for transfering them digitally later?

getting back on subject...

yes, definetly, go for it, just get something out that gets the job done, nothing fancy, and when you get the basic one out (all it needs to do is get a list on file names or something, dont need the bitrate or anything else), and after you get the basic one out, then you can work on more advanced features. but getting a simple one out like that that gets the job done i think will be a HUGE benfit to the community. I myself will bake you a batch of cookies

would be cool if you could make one for the data stored to mayb, even though u could just open it through the explorer, i just personally like the idead of lists.

but, summary of the post, get something out with all the things you can have it easily do, and when u get that out to the community, start work on something more advanced, and there is a batch of cookies in it for you

good work m8,

~phox

So... have you decided whether or not to write a listing program? (Please, Please, Please....). I now have 5 1gb disks filled with music. Great sound, great conveniece, hard to remember where eveything is though. :grin: I'd be more than happy to contribute. In any event, thanks for your contributions to the board!

Gary K.