1GB Minidisc -- Great for storing DVD movies (DIVX)

Rate this topic

1kyle

Using DVD ripping software (freely available all over the Net) the 1GB minidiscs are great for storing even 3 hour movies -- convert / squeeze to DIVX first.

If your computer is fast with USB2 connection you can play the movie from the minidisc --otherwise just copy to your HD withy Windows explorer and enjoy.

That saves having to carry a load of DVD's when I travel now. You'll need to get the DIV4X codec (free) and a DVD descrambler (the standard one is Smartripper 2.41) or DVDencrypter3.5.

Removes macrovision so the TV Out and digital out and / or SPIF on your video / sound card will work and also removes region encoding.

There's info all over the net on how to compress and copy DVD's -- the point of my post was to say that the data can now be stored on HI-MD minidiscs and it works fine.

When compressing the DVD you can use any sound compression (or none) you like so audio quality is up to you. Divx4 is also remarkably good unless you have one of those real size cinema screens at home. For a Laptop on the move quality is great.

(You can also use the older minidiscs but you'll usually need 2 to copy a movie.)

Happy Xmas everybody.

-K

If your computer is fast with USB2 connection you can play the movie from the minidisc --otherwise just copy to your HD withy Windows explorer and enjoy.

USB2 doesn't help you because hi-md only supports usb1.

And another thing. Xvid gives you better quality that divx at the same bitrate or similar quality at a lower bitrate so I would use xvid instead of divx. Also I would recommend you to use autogk to automate the process.

Thanks Latexxx great idea --I'm still new to DVD "ripping" etc --but I knew how to do it in DIVX. It still played BTW from the USB so I assume if your computer is fast enough the USB 1.1 won't be a problem.

I'll certainly look into Xvid.

It's nice to know anyway at least that you can get at least one and maybe in some cases 2 movies onto a 1GB disc --saves carrying DVD's (or region probs) as I do a lot of travelling.

Happy Xmas --am waiting for my Dinner which is why I've got time on Xmas day to be on the forum !!!.

Cheers

-K