to HI MD or not to HI MD?

Rate this topic

Dhar_2

i know that hi md is more versitle than the ipod.

what i need to know is can u use the hi md player as a transfer tool.

as in can i transfer files from one pc to another. for example from my work one to my home one.

the other thing i have heard is that since md's use atrac not mp3 the upload time from computer to unit includes a lenghty conversion process.

would i be better off going for one of the new sony network walkmans and buying a usb flash pen to transfer my files?

thanks in advance

what i need to know is can u use the hi md player as a transfer tool.  

as in can i transfer files from one pc to another. for example from my work one to my home one.

Yes, and you can also run programs from the Hi-MD unit as well. Works just like any USB thumbdrive.

the other thing i have heard is that since md's use atrac not mp3 the upload time from computer to unit includes a lenghty conversion process.

Five minutes per cd for Hi-SP rips, if you find that to be a long time then yes, another device may be ideal for you.

Five minutes per cd is too long for you? :eek:

He specifically asked about HiMD as a data transfer. If you are transfering large amount of data, the USB 1.1 is major significant bottleneck. It won't replace removable HD and flash pen disks. But if you are prepared to wait 10 minutes for your your data to transfer then it would be sufficient. For me I'm always dashing out of the office/home so USB2 is a godsend. Takes seconds to grab 200mb. Not so on USB 1.1

The issue is less that of USB 1.1 vs. 2.0, as the MO media used by MD and HiMD are not capable of reading or writing at the high rates used capable with USB 2.0.

HiMD, which is faster than MD [the read/write speeds of the media itself, in a HiMD recorder] still runs slower than USB 1.1's maximum data rates.

Hence, USB 2.0 support is completely superfluous with these media.