Gutted

Rate this topic

nfc

Hi all, am a newbie to these boards and first time posting so be gentle with me!

I've been a firm fan of Sharp MDs since I got my first one around 6/7 years ago (god is it *really* that long ago!) and, when my faithful 866 decided to start playing up before Xmas thought, right, time to get a new one............

It's proving nigh on impossible to find a Sharp unit here in the UK now they've been discontinued - is there *anywhere* that still do them? Failing that, is is possible these days with Sony units to alter rec levels on the fly? I tend to do a lot of, er, field recordings ph34r.gif

I'm not worried about getting a HiMD unit, but I *do* need a mic input.

If I had realised Sharp were going to pull the plug, I would have upgraded while I still had the chance sad.gif

To be honest, I'm not sure. I've been scouring ebay, but I'm reluctant to shell out megabucks on ebay for a secondhand unit which might not work. What I would really like is to be able to find a *new* one, but I don't think that will be possible. I can still get a MD-MT280 from Richer Sounds in the UK, but I wasn't that keen on it, it felt rather flimsy by comparison to the 866 I've been so used to.

Maybe I'm just too fussy.

Thanks for the link - the prices there are comparable to what I would have expected to pay in the UK when these things were still available. The only problem with ordering from the States is that I would face hefty import taxes which could possibly add an extra $100 or more to the cost.

I'll keep looking - something will turn up!

Cheers

I suppose the max would be around $300 - its not so much the *price* that bothers me, more what the unit can do. I really really REALLY like Sharps, but am having difficulty finding one. I *think* I can still get hold of a Sharp IMDR420 but I came across a thread on another message board which suggests it wouldn't be much good when it comes to uploading stuff to the PC (the thread is here hopefully)

I may also have tracked down a DR580, but if this is right about the 420, is it likely that the DR580 would share the same problems? If needs be, I could use my old 866 to do the MD-PC transfer, although it's a bit of a faff getting the discs in and out of the unit now unsure.gif

I want to be able to alter rec levels on the fly - and I understood that Sony units don't allow you to do that, is that still the case?

I don't really get why you are so passionate about sharp if it's because you hate sony and you think the company is full of a bunch of airheads I'll agree fully. But the HiMD recorders were built by the one smart person at sony and is a highly reliable device "a dimond in the rough" the biggest point is how you can extract files from HiMD format discs. The only headach is sonys sonic stage but hopefully they'll fix that problem as well they have since september 04 released at least 2 updates to their 2.0 version.

""I want to be able to alter rec levels on the fly - and I understood that Sony units don't allow you to do that, is that still the case?""

*This* is why I am anti-Sony - and if someone could answer this for me, it might make things a little clearer.

Oh yeah, and I also had a bit of a negative experience with a Sony video recorder, but that is another matter entirely.

Edited by nfc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, am a newbie to these boards and first time posting so be gentle with me!

I've been a firm fan of Sharp MDs since I got my first one around 6/7 years ago (god is it *really* that long ago!) and, when my faithful 866 decided to start playing up before Xmas thought, right, time to get a new one............

It's proving nigh on impossible to find a Sharp unit here in the UK now they've been discontinued - is there *anywhere* that still do them?  Failing that, is is possible these days with Sony units to alter rec levels on the fly?  I tend to do a lot of, er, field recordings  ph34r.gif

I'm not worried about getting a HiMD unit, but I *do* need a mic input.

If I had realised Sharp were going to pull the plug, I would have upgraded while I still had the chance  sad.gif

I just picked up a Sharp MDMT888H from ebay (brand new, sealed and boxed) for £46. Do a search, there seem to be a few going, although some are trying to flog them witha high "buy it now" price.

I just picked up a Sharp MDMT888H from ebay (brand new, sealed and boxed) for £46.

Aha! So it was *you* that outbid me then! ohmy.giflaugh.gif

I've since got one on a Buy it Now for £49 - just waiting for it to arrive now. Is it just me or did it seem that all of a sudden everyone seemed to want these things?? (on ebay, I mean)