Recording Format

Rate this topic

md-max

What format do you most commonly record in?  

1. 1. What format do you most commonly record in?

• PCM
    • Hi-SP
    • Hi-LP
    • SP
    • LP2
    • LP4

I've got a question.

Does recording from a analog source such as radio plays on audiotape also sound better with HI-SP or SP than PCM?

I would like to save my radio plays (the three investigators) on minidisc.

Better? It's a lossy compression algorithm so of course it won't sound better than PCM. BUT ... will you notice the difference is the better question? In which case, I'd be amazed if you did spot any differences (i.e. if you noticed that it did sound worse than PCM) considering that it is an analogue source that is of a bandwidth even more limited than the recording format itself.

That's like asking if you took old Super8 footage, would it look better recorded/transferred to DVCAM or Digital Betacam. Regardless of the format, it will look the same to at least 99% of the audiences out there.

Better? It's a lossy compression algorithm so of course it won't sound better than PCM. BUT ... will you notice the difference is the better question? In which case, I'd be amazed if you did spot any differences (i.e. if you noticed that it did sound worse than PCM) considering that it is an analogue source that is of a bandwidth even more limited than the recording format itself.

That's like asking if you took old Super8 footage, would it look better recorded/transferred to DVCAM or Digital Betacam. Regardless of the format, it will look the same to at least 99% of the audiences out there.

in other words: the quality of the source is probably much less than the quality you loose by going with Atrac (lossy compression). In that way Atrac would probably give you much more 'overhead' then you actually need and therefore there would be no difference to anyone that doesnt sit around listening for differences for hours