3rd Gen

Rate this topic

ROMBUSTERS

I'm not sure if this already has been discussed but..

I'd like the 3rd gen to have blu-ray. A laser with a shorter wavelength. I think capacity would increase to 5GB (cause the dvd is 5gb and the blu-ray disc 25gb = 5 times more).

But I don't know if battery power would become a problem. I do think the blue laser consumes more power..

Edited by Jurriaan

I'm not sure if this already has been discussed but..

I'd like the 3rd gen to have blu-ray. A laser with a shorter wavelength. I think capacity would increase to 5GB (cause the dvd is 5gb and the blu-ray disc 25gb = 5 times more).

But I don't know if battery power would become a problem. I do think the blue laser consumes more power..

It would be nice, but it would also render older discs completely incomaptible. Or Sony must stick 2 laser in, but that's gonna be expensive and slightly more heavy.

I think capacity would increase to 5GB (cause the dvd is 5gb and the blu-ray disc 25gb = 5 times more).

I don't think so. Hi-MD doesn't use the dvd laser.

As for 3rd gen, support of flac would be oh so great! However, recording in flac would be probably impossible. But Sony would develop own lossless compression codec, which would allow recording... mmm...

And don't compare flac with zip or rar. Lossless audio compression is based on entirely different algorithms. It's like comparing jpeg and mp3.

Guest NRen2k5

True, but FLAC would kick even more ass smile.gif

I'm not so sure that would be a wonderful thing to have.

For a lossless format, the CPU usage and the disc reading together would be a pretty big drain on the battery, moreso than any lossy or raw format.

It would kick SO much ass though, you're right about that.

Edited by NRen2k5

I'm not so sure that would be a wonderful thing to have.

For a lossless format, the CPU usage and the disc reading together would be a pretty big drain on the battery, moreso than any lossy or raw format.

It would kick SO much ass though, you're right about that.

Disc usage would be less (about half) of PCM, since the files average out at 55%. FLAC for example has been written so that decoding takes little cpu-time (it uses less than mp3). There are already mp3players which support FLAC, and it's very power friendly (it's of course not as friendly as HiLP, but hey, I don't care as long it's reasonable).

So decoding would probably be less than PCM, or on-par tops, and I have absolutely no problem with that.

Take Apples iPod. It supports Apple Lossless, which is a slightly heavier codec. And we all know that iPods CPU isn't all that fast, so I think I can rule any technical difficulties out.

And of course nothing stops Sony from developing a custom format, which is more power-friendly. Although I think it's going to be hard to beat FLAC, it's just a real good codec and was made with DAP's in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

The thing I'd like to see most is the size reduced down to be the same as the MZ-R900 again. I do think that going back to removable, replaceable and cheap Ni-MH is a step in the right direction though. I'd happily live with the extra size over an MZ-N10 or MZ-NH1 not to have to put up with the limitations of the Li-Ion battery pack.

Dave

imo it should not be a big problem to develop a laser to switch between normal <-> bluray. The electronics are advanced red laser is in every 20€ CD player. They could take the NH1 add bluray then it has the size of RH10 and a design like the RH10 and it's perfect wub.gif

(sure you can always add some more little features rtfm.gif )

Now lets not all go crazy just because it says here what would be the DREAM md unit. Part of what makes an md appealing is also the price, and some put that more as a priority than others. So i'd rather see them actually cutting down on some of the more useless options instead of trying to add more features. Can't think of anything specific right now though.

Hell, if my MD could do everything i would dream of, it'd have to play every possible format, have an atomic battery that lasts for millenia, PDA with stylus, GPS, cell phone, play movies, video games, project holographic strippers, can teleport me to school, phaser, remote control a satellite that can scract my ass from space with a laser beam, do my calculus exams for me, and vibrate and pleasure me sexually. Thanks.