Will I-pod Have The Last Laugh?

Rate this topic

Mikami

If, all one wanted was just an MP3 player, then I would guess the I-pod or the normal MP3 CD players have won over that crowd. Although, I must say the protable music market is starting to be flooded with all sorts of MP3 players, harddisc, flash memory type, Memory stick, CD player type, and USB drive types.

So, it would apear that Mp3 is very attractive, but there is one problem. Mp3 assumes that one has and knows how to use a computer to burn or transfer Mp3 files to these new players. However, not everyone has a computer, and some who have computers do not know how to encode to Mp3.

As, recent as April 2004 Sharp put out out on the market a NON-NET MiniDisc recorder/player. The very cute SHARP MD-DR77 in 3 different colors to boot(sorry, no pink). It is clear that an reasonable company would not bother to produce something that is not going to make any profits. So, why did they make this?

Well, I think we can assume there are still alot of people out there who want to:

(1) Record audio digitally by an optical line in, or through a normal stereo line line.

(2) Listen to high quality music or audio, but Do not have a computer/or do not use a computer for audio

(3) Have a Mac and are not able to use a NET-MD

(4) Like to or are forced to line in their music to their PC

(5) Have a bunch of MDs already, and just want the ablity to record

(6) Maybe, like the bigger LCD screen on the SHARP MD-DR77

(7) Want something as easy to use audio tape, without the fuss.

These assumtion were made even more clear to me when the I-pod-mini was introduced to Japan. Some people were excited by the new tech on the market and wanted to be the first the block to get the new "thing". However, not all were so excited.

On one news show they have about 4 to 6 house wives and sometimes office workers(usually female) rate new products. These judges were at first exited one could hold so much music on such a small device and that it came in cute colors. But, their excitement faded a bit when they found that you must use a computer to get music. They either did not have a computer or thought that using a computer was a hasle for whatever reason. This may or may not be typical of everyone, but it at least shows that I-pod or Mp3 will have problems reaching this crowd, Enless, they come out with a home mini-stereo or boom box that records Mp3 with the touch of a button and when you can feel safe to take i-pod to the gym. I always, seen MD's at the gym.

Good luck I-pod you really need it,

Mikami

Edited by Mikami

others have said you can't compare the 2. that's fine, whatever, but what about sony's own hard drive player vs the ipod in the sense of not which is better, but why isn't it on par with hard drive players like the ipod. minidisc media is a different type of creature, but i assume the sony hd players are trying to compete directly with the ipod(correct??), so what gives? would it be accurate to compare an ipod shuffle with a minidisc player or is the recording capability enough to make it different? seems to me like apple will eventually make their way to something similar to the minidisc market sooner or later. maybe the question is how can sony make the ipod/hd players better so that they are at least on par with one of the apple ipod instruments? is it just a matter of changing the sonicstage software?

is it just a matter of changing the sonicstage software?

No, there are still those who do not have or use a computer. Does sonicstage matter to those people? NO! Those people can still record to Minidisc without sonicstage. Therefore, a change in the sonicstage software is not going to effect people who want something they can use like they did their only tape players and boom boxes. Yes, there are problems with sonicstage, like it does not work on apple and that pushes apple users away from it.

I think I-pod is great for computer users and those who have tons of mp3's. If you just want an Mp3 player I-pod is what you want.

But, what about those who know little or nothing about computers? What product can those people use to listen to music, now? Who considers the computer less, the computerphobes, or the elderly who often still use tapes?

At, this point in time only MD, DATA, are normal Tape does considers the computer less,

Mikami

P.S. THE DRAGON BALL Z thing is cool cool.gif ! Kame ha me ha cool.gif !

Edited by Mikami

Noooh...  Don´t do the "ipod vs minidisc" thing.. noooohh !!!!! wacko.gif

*insanely runs around the place, repeating one and the same phrase over and over again*

...kidding... bigsmile.gif

What? I am not original ohmy.gif ?? Someone, already thought of that sad.gif ?

That was going to be next post sad.gif . Just kidding tongue.gif .

Well, when I think about you are probably right,

Mikami

It's an interesting point you make about Japan, and the whole being-tied-to-your-computer-to-get-your-music thing.

In anycase, you can compare the two, but when you start threads like this, trolls and zealots, and people who generally don't know what they are talking about, inevitably come out of the woodwork, and turn what started off as an enlightened and critical discussion into a free-for-all.

That is, perhaps, what the user "SlowMo" is hinting at.

I (and the other mods) will have our eyes on this thread.

This topic has almost reached redundancy.

I'll ad something to the whole computer thing.

Some people, (I.e me before I got my iBook) were firewire/USB 2.0less as well as running an OS that wasn't compatible with iTunes (3.1/95/98), so therefore, istead of ripping MP3s from CDs, then burning them to save space for use with a MP3CD player (or a really slow USB flash player) I got an MD recorder, which I eventually got to fit my needs perfectly.

No bitrate hassle, no computers, no harddrive space. It works well for some people.

I appoligize, to the mods and to anyone else who has or is reading this thread.

I should not have started this thread. I should have just talked about the computer-less without saying anything about the Mp3 players or the I-pod.

I did not mean to start a cantankerous thread my sincerest appologies

to anyone reading this,

Mikami

I did not mean to start a cantankerous thread my sincerest appologies

to anyone reading this,

Mikami

Haha, no need to be so sincere, we're all friends here and it's not like we're gonna ban you or anything. tease.gif

I do need to close this thread though, as it can be viewed as offensive to some people, which is completely understandable and I rather not create an uncomfortable enviroment. I'm glad that you're at least posting topics however, and I only encourage you to do so more in the future.