A Few Questions About The Mz-rh10

Rate this topic

batfastad

I was looking at a flash mp3 player as I'm fed up with net-md

But I've got a new laptop to replace my old one. Transferring/converting mp3 tracks through netMD was painfully slow using this old machine but with a brand new laptop this should be loads better.

I really wanted hi-md to be amazing, but I was disappointed by the features. It seemed like another Sony 'so close yet so far' job.

The reason I wanted a cheaper flash player was because you just drag and drop tracks to the drive in my computer. But nothing I could find out there promised the build quality I wanted.

I saw the creative zen micro and it looked fantastic. So I thought I'd get that, but alas no drag and drop. You have to use proprietory software to copy the tracks.

Then I thought, the slow mp3->minidisc transfer problem will disappear once I've got my new laptop.

And if I'm gonna get a player that needs proprietory software why then not HiMD??

Also size/weight - if I'm carrying around the zen micro I may as well be carrying a 2nd gen HiMD device.

I have a massive library of existing minidiscs in various formats, SP, LP2 and I'd like to be able to play those.

I make LP4 recordings of radio shows on a regular basis so the ability to listen to/edit those away from home would be great.

I also like having interchangeable media (still waiting for more companies to embrace the idea of swapping in/out different CF cards of mp3 players).

Sony build quality and sound quality I've always found to be awesome.

The MZ-RH10 looks great.

So now I'm thinking of going for an MZ-RH10.

I've never been a fan of docking stations. I hate having to carry around extra bits of plastic just to be able to charge things.

It seems sony have been sensible and many of their portable audio products now charge over the USB - meaning I can just leave the docking station with the mz-r10 at home and charge it over USB all the time.

I have a few questions...

1) I have an MDS-JB980 (s) minidisc deck at home and every weekend I record a digital radio show at 2am using the timer record function. It lasts for 5 hours so I record in LP4. I listen to it and make a note of any good tracks then buy them on vinyl (so I'm not bothered about sound quality).

Will I be able to edit/divide/delete tracks recorded in LP4 on my deck, using an mz-rh10?

I assume so, but just need clarification.

2) What's this I hear about UK versions coming without a remote?

I'd like to have the remote so might well buy it from the states if possible - does the US version come with a remote?

It's also cheaper as well I guess.

3) Anyone recommend a reliable US company I could order from with international shipping?

Thanks

Ben

Edited by batfastad

I have a few questions...

1) I have an MDS-JB980 (s) minidisc deck at home and every weekend I record a digital radio show at 2am using the timer record function. It lasts for 5 hours so I record in LP4. I listen to it and make a note of any good tracks then buy them on vinyl (so I'm not bothered about sound quality).

Will I be able to edit/divide/delete tracks recorded in LP4 on my deck, using an mz-rh10?

I assume so, but just need clarification.

2) What's this I hear about UK versions coming without a remote?

I'd like to have the remote so might well buy it from the states if possible - does the US version come with a remote?

It's also cheaper as well I guess.

3) Anyone recommend a reliable US company I could order from with international shipping?

Thanks

Ben

1. I don't think you will be able to manipulate/edit any tracks from LP4 mode on the RH10. I think the lack of NetMD recording prevents that. I don't think you can do that with SS as long as the track is on the MD either.

2. The US version comes with a non-LCD remote.

3. Planet Minidisc? Bluetin?

1) Really? Dammit!!

I just assumed that you'd be able to do this.

Surely an Atrac 3+ device like the RH10 would be able to edit Atrac 3 tracks?

Are there any other 2nd generation hi-md portables which will be able to do this?

Do the 1st gen hi-md portables edit LP4?

2) A remote control without an LCD???

Sounds pretty rubbish.

Is there an LCD remote available as an optional accessory?

I thought the RH10 would be the one for me.

Ah well, goodbye sony in that case!

But definitely not 2nd generation then???

Dammit Sony, adding native MP3 support, and getting rid of the editing of LP2/LP4!!

And the lack of LCD on the remote doesn't do them any favours.

Guess I'll have to think about it a bit more.

I assume you can still play LP2/LP4 discs on the 2nd gen HiMD devices though?

also bluetin don't have any 2nd gen himd in stock, nor any of the newer nws. i did email a request for the release dates for both to update users here but they have so far neglected to return my message.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I thought I'd add that you can't get a full and proper charge via the USB with the MZ-RH10 (according to the English operations manual PDF) but the unit can and will charge simply with the AC adaptor (in fact, the NA version doesn't even come with the cradle.) I got the Japanese domestic version from an ebay etailer because I really wanted the LCD remote and then was trying to look up info on charging via the cradle in the English PDF file from Sony's site (I don't know Japanese, so the supplied printed manual only got me so far happy.gif ) and there wasn't a word to be found of a charging cradle.

Sorry, I can't say anything of editing older ATRAC versions, this is my first venture into the world of the minidisc and I'm still reading on this model, but I certainly am enjoying my nice MZ-RH10, I just couldn't believe how small and light it was when I first got it. Hope you can get the proper info to assure you in a decision

What percentage charge does the USB give you - any ideas on battery life after it's been charged over USB anyone?

Maybe it will be one of those things where it can only charge it to 90% or something.

Often batteries seem to charge to 90% pretty quickly, and take the same amount of time again to get up to 100%.

One person's reassurance that the unit can edit NetMD tracks is enough for me.

So long as it can play them then editing isn't a huge worry.

Which brings me on to getting hold of one.

I'd really like the LCD remote (although I could use an old LCD remote off my broken MZ-N1)

Where can I get a Japanese one?

The european versions have their volume locked - does the Japanese one have this?

Don't fancy going in to service mode too much without a full step-by-step on how to change a euro one.

I think I'll probably buy one anyway!!

Edited by batfastad

What percentage charge does the USB give you - any ideas on battery life after it's been charged over USB anyone?

Maybe it will be one of those things where it can only charge it to 90% or something.

Often batteries seem to charge to 90% pretty quickly, and take the same amount of time again to get up to 100%.

One person's reassurance that the unit can edit NetMD tracks is enough for me.

So long as it can play them then editing isn't a huge worry.

Which brings me on to getting hold of one.

I'd really like the LCD remote (although I could use an old LCD remote off my broken MZ-N1)

Where can I get a Japanese one?

The european versions have their volume locked - does the Japanese one have this?

Don't fancy going in to service mode too much without a full step-by-step on how to change a euro one.

I think I'll probably buy one anyway!!

Have you looked at the MZ-NH1 currently on Amazon.co.uk at Stg109.99? I took delivery of mine today biggrin.gif .It does have LCD on the remote. The book says that it wont charge from the USB at all - only perform recording / downloading tasks. If you have any questions I might be able to help you.

I really like the look of the MZ-RH10 though.

And that's only £150 on amazon.

Bargain.

I really want 2nd gen HiMD - easier MP3 use.

I like that remote - might try and get hold of one.

Anyone know if it would be compatible with MZ-RH10??

I assume so - at least basic functions.

What's the part number for that remote with the NH1??

I really like the look of the MZ-RH10 though.

And that's only £150 on amazon.

Bargain.

I really want 2nd gen HiMD - easier MP3 use.

I like that remote - might try and get hold of one.

Anyone know if it would be compatible with MZ-RH10??

I assume so - at least basic functions.

What's the part number for that remote with the NH1??

The part number appears to be RM-MC40ELK

A few words about charging.

When you connect the RH-10 to your computer through USB it draws power from the bus, and does not need a battery. Though I can't think of why you would remove the battery just for this. :-)

With the battery in the MD unit, the USB connection will trickle charge to about half capacity. This is not the recommended way of charging. Basically it's just a convenience feature.

The external DC charge unit connects directly to the MD for charging. Simply plug it in and hit a button.

If you have a cradle, this provides nothing more than a nice way to holding the unit. Plus, you don't need to hit the button, it starts charging as soon as it is inserted.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I thought I'd add that you can't get a full and proper charge via the USB with the MZ-RH10 (according to the English operations manual PDF) but the unit can and will charge simply with the AC adaptor (in fact, the NA version doesn't even come with the cradle.) I got the Japanese domestic version from an ebay etailer because I really wanted the LCD remote and then was trying to look up info on charging via the cradle in the English PDF file from Sony's site (I don't know  Japanese, so the supplied printed manual only got me so far  happy.gif  ) and there wasn't a word to be found of a charging cradle.

Sorry, I can't say anything of editing older ATRAC versions, this is my first venture into the world of the minidisc and I'm still reading on this model, but I certainly am enjoying my nice MZ-RH10, I just couldn't believe how small and light it was when I first got it. Hope you can get the proper info to assure you in a decision

A quick question for you, in particular; I haven't gotten a solid answer from anyone on this! What is the model number of the Japanese RH10 remote? I've got the North American version, and am wanting to complete the package with both remote and cradle, but I don't know what to search for.

A quick question for you, in particular; I haven't gotten a solid answer from anyone on this!  What is the model number of the Japanese RH10 remote?  I've got the North American version, and am wanting to complete the package with both remote and cradle, but I don't know what to search for.

Check my response to your query in this thread.