Mp3 Not Compatible?

Rate this topic

Hello There!!!

I am extremely new to minidisc's however recently purchased a car with a Sony minidisc player installed.

My mate gave me all his minidisc's (Sony) as he has recently bought a MP3 player (boo, hiss) but they do not work in my car? I have tried them on the Sony walkman he gave me and they work fine - Is this some kind of compatibility issue or am I missing something very obvious? wink.gif

PLEASE ANYONE HELP ME!!!! biggrin.gif

welcome to MDCF,

what is the model of the walkman? NH600D, NH600, NH700, NH800, NH900, NH1, RH710D, RH710, RH910 or RH10... in that case, the MD's will probably be recorded in Hi-MD mode (or even be 1gig Hi-MDs)...that would explain the incompatibility, as there are no Hi-MD car sets yet... and in that case, you have a very good friend, just to give you a Hi-MD-player and MD's

(and then search these forums for extra info on the Hi-MD medium so you learn to appreciate it in its full potential)

if it isn't any of the above...you still have a very nice friend tongue.gif , but then I wouldn't know what the problem could be...

to make it easier on the ppl wanting to help, post the names (model numbers) of both the walkman and the car player...

hope to have helped,

Volta

Edited by The Low Volta

Hi Volta,

Thanks for the advice good.gif

The Walkmans a Sony MZ-N510

The Car Stereo is a Sony MDX-C6500R

Any advice would be much appreciated victory.gif

P.S. When I put the minidisc into the car stereo it shows that it is playing as I can see the track and time running but there is no sound shok.gif

Edited by SmokeyBubbles

it isn't an MD<>Hi-MD compatibility issue...

I'm no tech expert... but if it happens with all the discs, I would think that there is something wrong with the car stereo.

Does it play from other sources? Radio,... if so, that would rule out speaker/wiring problems...

If you bought the car new, contact your dealer...if it's second hand... go and break someones kneecaps spiteful.gif ... just kidding, but it could be wise to ask the person who sold you the car whether he/she knew something about this...

sounds to me like you've got a non MDLP car changer & the discs are recorded in an LP format. take a look at the faqs at www.minidisc.org for more info.

ah, yes...as I started at Hi-MD, I forgot there could be another incompatibility issue blushing.gif

hope that's it... would be the lowest cost-problem

just try to record/download a disc in SP to check it (or won't that work?)

Volta:

Does it play from other sources? Radio,... if so, that would rule out speaker/wiring problems...

Yes. I originally copied a lot of my CD's to MD's when I first bought the car and they work fine (his kneecaps are saved rolleyes.gif )

atrain:

sounds to me like you've got a non MDLP car changer & the discs are recorded in an LP format.

This would make sense. Would the only answer be re-recording all the disks in SP sad.gif

P.S. Thanks for all the advice so far cheers.gif

Edited by SmokeyBubbles

This would make sense. Would the only answer be re-recording all the disks in SP sad.gif

That, or get a new car deck that supports MDLP; there are a number of those out there so it might be preferable depending upon how many MDs you have recorded in LP-mode.

Recommed any LP MD Players? Don't fancy re-recording every one unsure.gif

I can recommend the one I bought: Sony MDX-79XX (you can check it out in the equipment browser on minidisc.org) -- it will also control a Sony CD-changer; I suppose you could plug an aux device into the RCA jacks on the back instead, but I've not tried it. Alternatively you can get a CD head unit that supports an MD-changer. Sony makes a 10-disc MDLP changer with the ability to eject the discs individually whilst another is playing.

I elected just for the MD head unit, and got the wife to agree to an MD-equipped shelf unit for the kitchen and then proceeded to record all her CDs and LPs on MDLP to negate any conflicts ;-)

Edited by saaron