2 and 4X CD==> MD dubbing via a deck.

Rate this topic

1kyle

I've seen a number of CD/MD combo's such as 1) a bookshelf unit, and 2) an integrated system that allow you to dub directly from CD to MD at 2X or 4X. The MD can be recorded in SP/LP2/LP4.

Is the quality when done this way equal to doing a real time digital out ==> digital in or is it still better to use a top notch CD player into the optical in of a high end unit like the jdb980 in real time SP mode.

just curious --- I know when dubbed this way you'll lose all text such as track titles etc but this can be "edited" in again afterwards.

Cheers

-K

I've seen a number of CD/MD combo's such as 1) a bookshelf unit, and 2) an integrated system that allow you to dub directly from CD to MD at 2X or 4X. The MD can be recorded in SP/LP2/LP4.

Is the quality when done this way equal to doing a real time digital out ==> digital in or is it still better to use a top notch CD player into the optical in of a high end unit like the jdb980 in real time SP mode.

just curious --- I know when dubbed this way you'll lose all text such as track titles etc but this can be "edited" in again afterwards.

Cheers

-K

The answer is Yes and No. It depends on what combo unit you have and how it records in high-speed. One such example is the Sharp Auvi SD-NX10 bookshelf unit--there were some complaints about this unit when recording in high speed--people could notice a decrease in quality.

However the NX10 isn't all that popular I suppose. And Sony units with high-speed are likely less prone to such an audible difference.

When speaking about more popular units, like Sony MXD-Dxxx decks the answer is that in MDLP the quality is about the same as doing the realtime recording. However when using SP there is a difference. Even the Sony combo decks which use ATRAC Type-R for SP recordings cannot do so when they dub in highspeed. When dubbing in high-speed these decks will revert to ATRAC 4.5 for the SP recording which, as you know, is not as good as Type-R. Type-R involves double the processing as 4.5 and I guess Sony did not want to go to the trouble of developing ATRAC chips which could run at double the clock-speed simply to retain Type-R at highspeed.

Guest MeanieDix

You might want to double check that......The last unit that would NOT record in true Type-R was the MXD-D40 in high speed mode. The MXD-D400 WILL record in true Type-R in high speed mode. Seems like the 400 was the pinacle cd/md deck, with optical ins/outs...and it lasted only about 6 months before Sony abruptly killed it for no apparent reason. Typical Sony, killing MD on purpose.

Edited by MeanieDix

You might want to double check that......The last unit that would NOT record in true Type-R was the MXD-D40 in high speed mode.  The MXD-D400 WILL record in true Type-R in high speed mode.  Seems like the 400 was the pinacle cd/md deck, with optical ins/outs...and it lasted only about 6 months before Sony abruptly killed it for no apparent reason.  Typical Sony, killing MD on purpose.

I'll agree that MXD-D400 was a great MD/CD deck. Even the mp3 playback was awesome for mp3 CDs. You could easily scroll through folders and via text. If I had the money I would have kept it but I sold it on Ebay to start my path down the Hi-MD road...

Really, I was actually looking on Ebay last week to see if anyone was crazy enough to sell their MXD-D400. It really was a great deck. The CD to MD dub was fantastic and it was Type R although I almost always used the High Speed for LP2 and the real time for SP. Just call me crazy... wacko.gif

You might want to double check that......The last unit that would NOT record in true Type-R was the MXD-D40 in high speed mode.  The MXD-D400 WILL record in true Type-R in high speed mode. 

Hmm. I guess you might be right. I'm not sure because I thought with the D40 that information came about from the user manual. However I checked the D40 and the D400s user manual and neither mention anything about ATRAC type used during realtime or highspeed SP recording.

Minidisc.org's EB does indeed state that for the D40 and not for the D400, but I'm wondering where that info originally came from, about the D40?