Best remote to get for the MZ-RH10?

Rate this topic

Hi guys

I've got an RH10 - but being in Europe (UK) I don't get the good remote.

I currently use me RM-MC11EL off an old NetMD portable I had, but I'd like to get something more recent.

I liked the look of the RM-MC41EL that came with the MZ-NH1

http://www.minidisc.org/images/sony_mznh1_remote.jpg

I really like the idea of having a jog dial on the remote, rather than a barrel-style button to twist or click.

Will that work ok with the RH10?

Is eBay my best bet at getting hold of one?

Thanks

Ben

I liked the look of the RM-MC41ELK that came with the MZ-NH1

as RM-MC40ELK these can be found on ebay for $75 (+ shipping) from "buyfromjapan" (see this ebay auction)... and sometimes (but not very often) a bit cheaper from other, less trustworthy sellers...

almost eveything from that remote will work, except to enter the rec menu and perhaps some other thing (but nothing as useful as the rec menu), and with the RH10 you can not set the backlight to stay on all the time I believe (while with the NH900 you can do this)

so if you want to invest a bit... this is the top-remote, if not, search for an RM-MC38ELK, which is the stick type that came with the NH900 and still is a very useful remote

Personally I've never been happier than with the RH10 Japanese remote (name in my sig. below). It's such an improvement on previous designs I dunno how I did without it. The remote your considering would be too bulky for me as you don't want something that'll strech your clothes biggrin.gif

That was a shot from CES before Hi-MD officially debuted, a pre-production vapor remote for display purposes..

that explains a bunch... btw, I just received my Rm-MC40ELK from buyfromjapan biggrin.gif I'm one happy taper now

Oh nice..I know you had been contemplating this one for a while. You'll have to share your impressions with us.

I've got a three day festival starting tomorrow on which I will try my concert taping experiences for the first time... although I expect a bunch of failures and ruined recordings due to my clumsiness, I will surely post some snippets and an elaborate (if I have the time) description of my 'adventures in stealth-recording-world'

Yeah I thought I was totally going mad.

So the RM-MC41EL doesn't exist.

Wow the white RM-MC33EL on that ebay page would look pretty special with the black RH10

Though it's a bit too iPod for my liking.

I think the RM-MC40ELK is the one.

Big display, jog dial.

I guess the larger back-lit display though will put more of a drain on the battery?

Anyone done any tests on this?

How much extra power would the remote with the display draw compared to the one supplied with European & US units (no display)?

Glad I've got the link for the remote comparison - been looking for something like that for a while on here.

Thanks guys

Ben

EDIT:

In fact just checked out the seller buyfromjapan on ebay uk and there's one on buy it now for $78.00

Bought it just now laugh.gif

Edited by batfastad

Anyone have any info on power use of different remotes?

Does it make much difference to battery life?

I would have thought remotes with backlights would drain the battery more than the plain remote that comes with the US & Euro versions of the RH10

I would have thought remotes with backlights would drain the battery more than the plain remote that comes with the US & Euro versions of the RH10

I recorded 6 hours with my NH900, 1450mAh gumstick, 2500mAh AA and the RM-MC40ELK backlight permanently on without any decrease of battery (according to the indicator)

not very scientific of course... it works for me