Hi-MD software for Linux?

Rate this topic

igor

Taking into consideration that pulling teeth and getting Sony to make its software partially compatible with the Mac require the same effort, I'd say it's very, very unlikely this will happen.

You might be able to run it under WINE but you are on your own on this one.

It will work on VMWARE (running a Virtual Windows Machine on Linux)

Cheers

-K

You might be able to run it under WINE but you are on your own on this one.

As long as Wine does not support USB communication this is impossible, unfortunately. But, I think it is more likely that Sonicstage or Simpleburner will run under a future Wine version, than that a Linux version of Sonicstage is released by sony. dry.gif

Taking into consideration that pulling teeth and getting Sony to make its software partially compatible with the Mac require the same effort, I'd say it's very, very unlikely this will happen.

I wasn't so much thinking that Sony itself would develop Linux software (I too find that scenario very unlikely, though it would be wonderful if they did). I was just wondering about the possibility of Sony providing the Linux open source developer community the technical information they would need to create such software (much in the same way that many Linux soundcard drivers were developed by volunteers in cooperation with the soundcard manufacturer rather than by the manufacturer itself). Would Sony be giving away too many trade secrets by providing this information to the open source community?

Yes, they certainly don't want anyone to get access to the DRM encryption around Atrac. I highly doubt that they would give anything like this in the near future ...

What might be interesting is that there is an ATRAC player out there somewhere

Would then the .OMA files created by SS 3.2 (doesn't have the play / transfer restrictions on non purchased music) play in the ATRAC player.

If at least playback works then you'd have the start of getting some software to work on Linux.

I believe there are some links to the ATRAC codecs somewhere.

Cheers

-K

Would Sony be giving away too many trade secrets by providing this information to the open source community?

They can always put th stuff they don't want others to see in a closed source library, or just built the entire program closed source themselves of course (precisly like SS on windows).

I think a future wine with USB is your safest bet.

I wasn't so much thinking that Sony itself would develop Linux software (I too find that scenario very unlikely, though it would be wonderful if they did). I was just wondering about the possibility of Sony providing the Linux open source developer community the technical information they would need to create such software (much in the same way that many Linux soundcard drivers were developed by volunteers in cooperation with the soundcard manufacturer rather than by the manufacturer itself). Would Sony be giving away too many trade secrets by providing this information to the open source community?

Thesedays I only use Windows XP for 2 things - SonicStage and Palm Desktop to sync my Tungsten T3 (and even then there are some good opensource alternatives to that out there).

Other than that I use Fedora Core 4 (fedora.redhat.com) or Ubuntu (www.ubuntulinux.org) for a high quality FREE desktop operating system.Sony deciding to opensource SonicStage would make me very happy indeed. Imagine an army of opensource developers enhancing, stablelizing and polishing up OpenSonicStage!

The opensource model has produced example of such good software - Mozilla Firefox, OpenOffice, Apache web server, MySQL database etc etc...!

They can keep the ATRAC and DRM library closesourced, just let us turbocharge the interface to our music and MD players and put some fun into it (skins, plugins, hooks into 3rd party apps etc).

There may be some hope for this given Sonys relationship with opensource so far - support for Linux on Playstation2 and 3, opensource tech based on BSD in the PSP networking stack. There are signs it's relinquishing it's proprietary-everything stance and being more progressive to new technology such as peer2peer (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/23/sony_p2p_digital_pool/).

just my 2p's worth!

Edited by imzu

There may be some hope for this given Sonys relationship with opensource so far - support for Linux on Playstation2 and 3, opensource tech based on BSD in the PSP networking stack.

The cullprit is that the divisions within Sony are almost like different companies. That's why this ugly piece of software called Sonicstage even exists (and why there's a separate MP3-download tool for portable audio devices created within the PC division of Sony). It (Sonicstage) is almost like an initial draft to bind Sony more together, but doing that with a company as big as Sony (and with all the different cultures within the different divisions) is a slow process (that's why improvements with Sonicstage do come, but slowly and has a long way to go).

So that's why I think Linux Sonicstage (let alone opensourcing of code or separate libraries that can be utilized in custom software) are in the (distant) future.

Wine is developing more rapidly so I think that that will bring Sonicstage sooner.

BTW, imzu, I think you can sync with your Tungsten in Linux via Evolution (perhaps another program)? At least Kpilot seems to be able to: http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.ph...=ST&f=4&t=18631