Is there an alternative to MCMD-R1?

Rate this topic

dubwoy

Hello all im looking for a device to transfer digi photos to a HI mD the obvious choice is the Sony MCMD R1 but i was wondering if anyone else had made an alternative to this, and if so how does it compare in cost and spec.

Thanx for your help on this and all my other questions

Where will you use it?

If at home, or at another place with a computer, you don't need the R1. Then just connect both your Hi-MD player and a standard card reader (they're cheap) by USB on you can drag-'n'-drop your photos since both devices will show up as a disc in Explorer.

Without using a computer, I know of nothing else but the R1 connected to a Hi-MD player.

There are other alternatives, such as this. I haven't tried one myself, but it looks like it'll do the job. You would need a separate USB card reader to plug in on one side, with the HiMD plugged in on the other side.

I've been thinking of getting something like this myself, as they're quite a bit cheaper here (Australia) than the Sony product.

There are other alternatives, such as this. I haven't tried one myself, but it looks like it'll do the job. You would need a separate USB card reader to plug in on one side, with the HiMD plugged in on the other side.

I've been thinking of getting something like this myself, as they're quite a bit cheaper here (Australia) than the Sony product.

I've tried it using a similar device made by another company and messed my NH900. :angry:

I own that little device, and I'm quite pleased with my purchase. It doesn't transfer very fast, but I'm not fussed about that. I bought it as a relatively cost-effective photo storage solution; I already had a Hi-MD recorder, I needed a PSD, and I figured I'd leverage my resources.

Here is my setup: I have three 1GB cards which I use with my Canon S70. When a card is relatively full in the field (310+ shots at max resolution superfine jpeg), I transfer the data to a 1GB Hi-MD while I use another card. It drains the batteries of the device in about two transfers, so I keep four rechargeable AAA's spare, too.

The drawbacks of the device are the speed of transfer (slow) and the fact that there is less useable space on a Hi-MD than there is on a 1GB CF card. If I fill a CF card to max capacity, there will be just a bit too much data to go on a Hi-MD. So on my 7mp S70, I shoot until there are about five shots left, and then I transfer.

Oh, and the other drawback is that there is no provision for an external power source. Apart from those issues, the transfer is reliable, the media is robust, and there is the added geeky coolness of using a Hi-MD device. :)

~Archivist~