Microphone extension cable?

Rate this topic

greenshank

This ought to be really easy... having taken advantage of the splendid Minidisc Australia bundled NH900 + microphone (+ other stuff) I just want to buy a cable so I can isolate the microphone from the disc noises. But I want to buy it on the high street rather than end up paying far more in p&p than for the cable itself. Also I don't really want a very long cable and all the ones I've found online are at least 1.8m. Plus it should be nice and flexible of course. Lastly I'm in Melbourne like a good few others here (interesting in itself) so I hope someone can point me to a good shop here. (Before anyone mentions it, as far as I can tell, Dick Smith doesn't carry anything suitable i.e. short enough.)

Not asking much, am I!

Perhaps I'll just have to buy the components and get my soldering iron out!

No, Dick Smith and Tandy have nothing suitable. I had to order something like that from Sound Professionals. Soldering iron is probably your best bet, if you have the skills.

Hey, would it be hard to make a mono-in -> dual mono-out converter cable? I have a mono mic that I want to plug into my Hi-MD, and I haven't been able to find a mono->dual mono converter in the shops, either.

No, Dick Smith and Tandy have nothing suitable. I had to order something like that from Sound Professionals. Soldering iron is probably your best bet, if you have the skills.

Hey, would it be hard to make a mono-in -> dual mono-out converter cable? I have a mono mic that I want to plug into my Hi-MD, and I haven't been able to find a mono->dual mono converter in the shops, either.

Yes, I've made up a few cables in my time. It's been a while though.

For a mono mic, wouldn't you want a mono-to-stereo-3.5mm converter? I have one knocking around, I think (no cable involved, just a single male+female unit).

Later... oh bother, it's the wrong way round (mono male to stereo female).

Edited by greenshank

For a mono mic, wouldn't you want a mono-to-stereo-3.5mm converter? I have one knocking around, I think (no cable involved, just a single male+female unit).

Later... oh bother, it's the wrong way round (mono male to stereo female).

Yeah, exactly. I've been everywhere (Dick Smith, Tandy, Jaycar in the City), and no one has the appropriate converter. It's not even listed in DS's store catalogue. That's why I'm either going to have to order one over the net, or maybe three so I'll always have backups.

~Archivist~

just buy some panasonic RP-JE50 in-ear headphones (or some other brand/model like that), as they come with a short cord and an extension lead of about 70-80cm, which is perfect for mic use as well :lol: for a grand total of (USD) $25 (shipping included from HK through ebay)

this way you get some nice phones (if you get the pana's you will at least :P ) and a cheap extension

just buy some panasonic RP-JE50 in-ear headphones (or some other brand/model like that), as they come with a short cord and an extension lead of about 70-80cm, which is perfect for mic use as well :lol: for a grand total of (USD) $25 (shipping included from HK through ebay)

this way you get some nice phones (if you get the pana's you will at least :P ) and a cheap extension

Nice idea. My current headphones came with a separate lead so I should have thought of that! (No, I can't use the one I've got, as it's male-to-male.)