enduromon

Question

• Answers 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Hi ShanieAIBO ! Welcome too from me to the forum. Most of the regulars here are Sony fans - desparate to get our hands on what sounds like a superb new gadget!! £235 is actually a bit less than some people were speculating - I'm personally very very interested in the wifi side of things - what will the browser allow us to do re downloading/streaming/saving etc etc

You said the Proporta case is similar to Sony's for the 820. (Presume you mean the leather one?) I've got a Sony case for my 829 - not 100% happy with it!!!! The "backplate" thingie which the 829 clips onto is a bit cumbersome (IMHO) and I dont like the closure being one of those "magnetic" ones (again IMHO) I've got an 808 which is in a Noreve leather case - the unit is held in "on all sides" and a proper clip/fastener - I'll probably hold out for a Noreve case for my X1060.

Regards.

Thanks again! :P

I know that there is no 'browser' on it... And you can't type in to search something you want to see. What happens is the Walkman takes the artist's name or song title of the track you’re currently playing and then searches on YouTube for the music video. As far as I know this is how it works. A bit of a shame, but still pretty cool. I'm not too sure what else the WiFi could do seeing as you can't search, other than perhaps be DLNA citificed, but I doubt that…

Regarding to the case, I'm not too sure if I’m allowed to post the concept design picture I have of it, but what I can describe is it isn't like the NWZ-820 in the way it uses the 'clip on' method, it is made all out of leather with swade in the inside (like the Sony 820 case) but it's more like a very thin leather phone case, where there is no clips of any sort - the Walkman just slips in from the top and the leather outside keeps it firmly tucked in while access the main big 'home button' on the X Walkman and it's top and of course, the screen. It also has a metal circle Walkman W logo badge on the front and a 'Walkman' brand logo on a tag on the side. It looks very nice from the design and it won’t break seeing as it's all made of Leather, by the designs, it seems to be very thin too, and so it won’t make your Walkman all bigger unlike the past Sony cases. (Seeing as the Walkman X is A LOT thinner than the iPod Touch and all other MP3 Players, you want to keep it that way!)

I have no idea on the price of the case, but I’m guessing around £30 seeing as the Sony ones where £25, and normally ones made by case companies cost slightly more (but you usually get a better case)

Personally I still have my white NWZ-820 case on mine, although looking very grubby and dirty-looking now (lol) it's never come part or show signs of any wear and tear. Same goes for my past Sony leather cases, I guess it was just bad luck for you lol.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Shanie.

Hi Shanie, do you know if the Walkman supports unicode characters (ş ç ı ğ)? If it doesn't it could be a deal breaker for me.

Since the Cowon isn't out yet I might go with the Walkman after all IF it costs as much as Shanie says it will. If they cost the same I'll get the Cowon.

Shanie, you say "the Walkman X is A LOT thinner than the iPod Touch and all other MP3 Players". According to SonyStyle HK the Walkman is 9.8mm thick and the Touch is 8.5mm. Is SonyStyle wrong on this one? I made a quick photoshop mock up of the Walkman and the specs don't really add up. I get it to about 8.5cm in height.. the specs say 9.65cm.

Hi ShanieAIBO,

Are you sure that it does not have a "browser" to do an internet search?

This picture from a French Review site shows that it has access to google.

http://www.journaldugeek.com/2009/02/05/ex...x1000/imgp0103/

I wonder if we can load txt or flash file using this browser just like PSP

Wow, cool picture! That would be fantastic if they did put it in...

But, from SONY UK, they have working ones, and what I saw, none of them had a full-working browser on them, just had that track Artist/Song title search function like you see working in the new video posted by Ascariss and Chris on the site... And the price quote I got from Sony UK as well. So blame them if they’re wrong, they’re official source. lol

kafkef: Yeah, this is a problem, I know that using Windows ApplLocale on SonicStage on the past Walkmans turns ???? into their right characters and they when transferred onto the Walkman they looked fine... Now with SonicStage not in US and Europe, I'm not sure if it will support it or not, personally I will be getting myself a Japanese X-series (why I’m upset they still haven't said anything in Japan about it yet!) as I got far too much music on my SonicStage’s, and I've been having to import Japanese Walkmans for the past two years now. (My current NWZ-820 is gold and already has noise cancelling in it, so they’re normally better than the Western ones anyway)

I think the only way to find that out is to put a track on it and find out... If we get them early I’ll try it out at work and let you know on here.

Regards, Shanie.

Shanie, you say "the Walkman X is A LOT thinner than the iPod Touch and all other MP3 Players". According to SonyStyle HK the Walkman is 9.8mm thick and the Touch is 8.5mm. Is SonyStyle wrong on this one? I made a quick photoshop mock up of the Walkman and the specs don't really add up. I get it to about 8.5cm in height.. the specs say 9.65cm.

LOL I thought it was thinner, that was just me saying that, not from SonyStyle - As when I saws that picture on here with the X-series stacked up it looks (and the iTouch has a 'curved back' which rises it up when put on a table - it looked about the same thickness. My bad, haha.

Hi shanieaibo

Thanks for your earlier comments re the case. It sounds very similar to the Noreve cases rather than those Sony 829 ones with the "clipon base" thingie - so I'm pleased with that.

But Ill be very disappointed re the browser - my daughter sits on our sofa with an itouch fired up and brows.es/facebooks/emails etc - and I was hoping to do same with the Sony!!! I'll still get one though - more than enough good points for me (32gb, SQ, screen, battery life etc

Really appreciate your replies/contributions to the forum - thanks again.

Regards.

Hi All,

I'm a Sony NWZ-A818 owner more than very interested in the coming X series.

I'm very surprised about this story of internet browser.

The presentation of the NWZ-X1060 on SonyStyle HK website mentions WiFi and NetFront Browser for Walkman as Internet Browser.

Source : http://www.sonystyle.com.hk/ss/product/wal...nwz_x1060_e.jsp

Would it possible that Sony will propose different models; ones with Internet browser and another ones without it ?

That could explain why prices announced by Shanie are noticeably cheaper than the ones announced by other information sources, couldn't it ?

I refer to the post from Le Journal du Geek : 379 EUR for the NWZ-X1061 whereas Shanie told us it will be 235 GBP.

Knowing that 1 GBP is more or less 1,07 EUR, the difference is rather important !

Read you soon,

Javi

Hmm, considering the ones I saw didn't, and I haven't heard of the NWZ-X1060 and 62... (Ours is X1020 I think, but maybe it's also something to do with region) but the fact it say's about a NetFront browser, maybe your right, Javi! Then I hope my Japanese one will have it... Maybe the UK ones I saw where different non-browser versions? The ones I saw had a serial number 'NWZ-XXXX' ...lol (Prototypes, i'm guessing) so I couldn't tell what model they where. That would also explain the price difference, like you said. Also it's funny that they didn't motion/show it in that video, only what I told you before hand.

Very Interesting... Most talked about Walkman ever? I hope some more news comes out to short this out. lol

new video courtesy of ABI again

thanks Kshetar

It is in danish so we'd need a translation, he gives a thumbs up for something then a thumbs down for something.

From what I could understand he really didn't like the browser. I didn't understand what it was that he gave a thumb down for but he seemed to like everything else.

This waiting is getting to me now!!

Not only misreading dates.........................but now multiple posts!!!!!

Sorry.

PS ..................... I have a confession to make....................... if the Sony browser is as "crippled" as some are saying ..............I might seriously look at the itouch. ( AND for a Sony addict of many years standing - that's almost heresy) (LOL). But I really want to use the X1000 like my daughter uses her itouch. I can just about get decent SQ from an ipod with a line out cable and a headphone amp. All the 3rd party apps interest me too and I'm not expecting the X1000 to go down that road at all - sony never have. For me I can carry my 16gb 639 for music alone - and use X1000 for vids, browsing etc and apps if poss. ( but perhaps an itouch for the last lot????) My dear sony loving friends please talk me out of this???? Convince me the x1000 is worth waiting for and indeed an "itouch killer"!!!

Regards.

I have to confess I ws literally just browsing the Apple on line store.. I totally agree, the browser is a big draw for me too. I think all the extra features like noise cancellation built in, OLED screen are wonderful but no decent browser, I am really going to have to reconsider. I was hoping that I would be able to use the Sony instead of taking a laptop when I travel for one or two nights with work. Although totally shamefully I am a gadget girl and the Apple apps are a tiny draw for me. Come on Sony give us some good news!!! I really don't want to follow the crowd and go for a Apple instead :(

Hi Kittykat81

Agree with you re the "travel light" idea - just having the one small device ( but with browse/email as well as music/vids) is very very appealing. The small ray of hope for me is the "Netfront Browser"phrase ( and my earlier link fromPocketables shows a fully functioning browser on that thing called Mylo2?? And I searched on "netfront" and saw lots of details re browser for phones etc. The pessimistic interpretation is that on the x1000 the "netfront" is a very cut down version!!

Regards

I don't know what the **** is going on with this player. Dabs have contacted me to say the lead time for stock intake has been pushed out to 29th May. I am getting a little frustrated with the massive wait from announcement to arrival of this device. I have money in my hands now, I wonder what a suitable alternative would be............I wonder will I fall for the itouch after all?

Hey guys, I can't click on any of the links that show the video of the imaginary Sony player. When I click on the link, it just opens up a 'still' photo of the player, there's no video. Please can someone provide me with a working link to the latest video footage so I can see what will probably never get released???

Shirley, I could give up everything on the Touch so long as the Sony can at least do email!! And I too am using an amp with the line out on the Touch and it sounds amazing - but it's not as portable as the Sony, and I do love how small and lightweight Sony daps are.

But all this confusion about what we're getting, when we're getting it etc, is really beginning to irritate me. If Sony hasn't even implemented a decent browser, then the new model is hardly going to be a rival for the Touch. Steve Jobbs will be laughing his boxer shorts off!!

But I still want it :(

I don't know what the **** is going on with this player. Dabs have contacted me to say the lead time for stock intake has been pushed out to 29th May. I am getting a little frustrated with the massive wait from announcement to arrival of this device. I have money in my hands now, I wonder what a suitable alternative would be............I wonder will I fall for the itouch after all?

Anthony, the Touch 2G is really not bad and it's grown on me quite a lot. I just find it awkard to take out and about because although it's not huge - it's still bulky compared to any Sony I've used. And if you buy something now, aren't you still going to be curious about the Sony when it's released in seventeen years time?? :lol:

I understand that these days everyone would want one device that does the whole lot, and the iTouch does this very well, but at the end of the day in Sony's eyes is, the Walkman is a high-quality sound device to have your music on the go and at the same quality or if not better than you would be from playing from a CD player without carrying your CD’s around.

How I always see it - a stand alone camera will take better photos than any camera on mobile phone on the market (forget mega pixels it’s all about the lens and CDD/CMOS censors) same goes with most portable electronic devices out there.

If the X-series Walkman has a browser or not - the sound quality (and video quality being OLED…) is there and that's what it's built for. I think Sony is adding these more 'gimmicky' features in to attract past iPod customers. Although, sadly, I think Sony have a long way to go if they wish to beat that market now... But It's not all to do with great sounding music when the majority of people out there today don’t care about kbps rates and CD quality and that's where iPod wins.

There's also the issue with Sony using SSD drives in heir Walkmans, (hence higher price for less memory space) so I get a lot of "Why don't Sony do bigger than 16GB (forgetting X-series) and Apple do 320GB??" There’s a lot of people out there not knowing the benefit of SSD; using less battery, more secure from drops and falls and loads your music faster, and I see that people will always want there whole music collection on the go and not just there favourite albums…

Although I’m finding that more and more people are turning back to Walkman just because they're fed up that everyone now owns an iPod, people are looking for something different, (from customers point of view that I deal with) and surprisingly not necessarily with better sound quality… That and the fact Apple are not really progressing forward with their iPod, the sound quality as far as I know has stayed the same since the first iPod in 2003, unlike Sony have done with each new release of a Walkman, but Apple likes add the likes of a browser/WiFi features and new colours and smaller sizes of players to keep people interested. And this is working…

To be honest, It boils down to two things - If you love your music you would go with the Walkman. If you love one thing to do all, regardless to quality then get the iTouch/Pod

We will soon see what happens to the X-series Walkman... Seeing as more of the reviewing press are getting their hands on it. Sadly, i've not heard any new news on it since what i've said. And seriously Sony need to do a good marketing campaign like Apple did back in 2003, to get this off a good start, and maybe the X-series will be a start new gen of Walkmans to come.

I agree ShanieAIBO. Unfortunately it all comes down to what believes the “market” wants now and will want in the future. I think Sony is caught half way between making mp3 players for music lovers and making mp3 players that will appeal to the masses (ie. A device that can do a lot more than just play mp3s). They have tried to create devices which appeal to both groups but has largely failed. I am definitely in the music lover group. I use my walkman for music only even though it can play videos and display pictures. I want a device with the best sound quality possible even if that means a bigger device. Ease of navigation and battery life are the other key factors for me. I am intrigued by the x series device. Mostly by the s-master amp. Will this mean a greater output volume or simply better quality?

Personally,the browser issue doesn't bother me, I thought it was gimmicky to begin with.

Noise cancelling is actually an important feature for me because I can keep the volume down without loss of SQ. I have regular hearing checks and there is no doubt that high noise exposure does damage over time. I am very conscious about preserving my hearing. Some of you might laugh but this is going to be a serious problem with the "ipod generation". I reckon NC will feature in a lot more players going forward and SONY should make this a marketing issue IMO.

As for the ipod............I can never understand why SONY got hammered for the whole Sonic Stage-Atrac thing by the same people that overlook similar restrictions with Apple and itunes. Almost two years after Sony dropped Atrac and SS Apple still maintain their market share despite being tied to proprietry software. I like the GUI on the itouch though.

My only real gripe at the moment is the lead time for this device. For such a consumer savvy company they really lack in the marketing department. Not only that but some of the staff in the SONY Centres ( I said "some" shanieAIBO ) know less than I do. You have to give Stevie credit for something; if he says there is a new iPod or iMac he actually means it.

I am intrigued by the x series device. Mostly by the s-master amp. Will this mean a greater output volume or simply better quality?

Should well do both - this is the reason I'm most excited about the X-series that, and the fact I love the whole idea of one of the world's first colour OLED's in my pocket. ;) One thing that worries me is the fact Sony Japan hasn't hyped it up at all yet, even their S-series was more hyped than this... Which is odd, and I need Japanese model too. :(

Personally,the browser issue doesn't bother me, I thought it was gimmicky to begin with.

Noise cancelling is actually an important feature for me because I can keep the volume down without loss of SQ. I have regular hearing checks and there is no doubt that high noise exposure does damage over time. I am very conscious about preserving my hearing. Some of you might laugh but this is going to be a serious problem with the "ipod generation". I reckon NC will feature in a lot more players going forward and SONY should make this a marketing issue IMO.

As for the ipod............I can never understand why SONY got hammered for the whole Sonic Stage-Atrac thing by the same people that overlook similar restrictions with Apple and itunes. Almost two years after Sony dropped Atrac and SS Apple still maintain their market share despite being tied to proprietry software. I like the GUI on the itouch though.

My only real gripe at the moment is the lead time for this device. For such a consumer savvy company they really lack in the marketing department. Not only that but some of the staff in the SONY Centres ( I said "some" shanieAIBO ) know less than I do. You have to give Stevie credit for something; if he says there is a new iPod or iMac he actually means it.

Sony has been putting built-in digital noise cancelling in quite a few of their devices, nearly all the past 4 years of Japanese Walkmans have done. My gold NW-A829 has it and I personally think it’s a seriously great idea, as when you’re travelling, we all want clear music without any bus, train or plane noses in the background ruin it! Being digital is even better too, and doesn't make you carry AAA batteries around and the box that you have to connect your headphones to... This is really a great feature and like you said - Sony really should market this now Sony is putting it in the European models.

The reason I want a Japanese X-series is because I love ATRAC 352kbps and my whole music collection is stored on it. Some people (once again, this is coming from customers point of view that I’ve experienced) really love SonicStage and are upset Sony got rid of it, where as others prefer the fact they resorted to simple drag n’ drop…

I agree with the whole Sony Centre staff thing; they are franchisees which don't help and each one is run by a different company signed by Sony to maintain the stores. They do get training from Sony HQ within Weybridge, but it's up to them if they take it all in, if they're really interested they will, otherwise if just for the money they won’t - I've seen them there. Our store is the first to be owned by Sony UK Ltd. (Hence, called Sony Style and not 'Sony Centre') themselves, so it's not a franchise, only we get less training from Sony Weybridge (sadly due to having shifts) As I know a lot in-depth on the products personally, I do teach the others little things like that the P-series VAIO has in-built digital noise cancelling (talking on that subject, lol) that none of the other staff seem to know about. None of them have a passion for the brand either, and you can see it when they try and sell to people. Customers come into the store demanding for help on their product, which I am the only person can sort out - no matter how old the Sony product is. Customers ask other questions that they expect us to know (SonicStage related to name one of a few, the other staff would not even know what SonicStage is…) that always gets pointed back to me to answer for them as one of the other staff know. The thing is; people see the Sony stores more than just a retail outlet, they see it as a help centre as well, and if they don’t get it (usually the case in UK) they walk away not impressed and reflects back on Sony, the company itself looking bad. That’s the problem with having dedicated company stores. It's just a shame you can’t just grab a load of people around the world who really love the brand itself along with the products to get a fantastic customer-service store and some really great marketing going along side it.

ShanieAIBO, i'd take that job!

Don't know a whole lot about the older walkmans, but from the E500 series onwards i've kept an eye on them :P

And quite a bit about the new Sony products (Its like i'm writing a CV :P)

Anyway, I'm hoping for a more functional browser with the X series rather than a Youtube only affair. Doesn't make too much sense to build in a Wifi set up and not use the capabilities of it?

Otherwise the Noise Cancelling (Especially On the plane Noise cancelling...now that IS thinking) seems worth the upgrade from my A808.

I was hoping maybe..just maybe that the Japanese X series could go into English, but alas i have a feeling it won't *points upwards*

P.S New member! ^_^

I was told by one (reputable) EBay seller that current japanese Walkman-products only have their menus in Japanese, and that it isn´t possible to change the language to English.

Seeing for the past 4 years of me importing Japanese Walkmans I’m well aware of this - and have been use to the Japanese SonicStage and Walkman menus for a while now - so this is no problem for me. lol

ShanieAIBO, i'd take that job!

Don't know a whole lot about the older walkmans, but from the E500 series onwards i've kept an eye on them :P

And quite a bit about the new Sony products (Its like i'm writing a CV :P)

Anyway, I'm hoping for a more functional browser with the X series rather than a Youtube only affair. Doesn't make too much sense to build in a Wifi set up and not use the capabilities of it?

Otherwise the Noise Cancelling (Especially On the plane Noise cancelling...now that IS thinking) seems worth the upgrade from my A808.

I was hoping maybe..just maybe that the Japanese X series could go into English, but alas i have a feeling it won't *points upwards*

P.S New member! ^_^

Please, come work with us then! lol Save Sony! lol

My store is now taking pre-orders on it - https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonyStyle/MP3-W...o/NWZX1060B.CE7

It's shipped ‘end-May’, and it does say it has a web browser on both 16GB and 32GB models. I recon we will get them in early as we seem to do with most products, so I should be playing with one again beginning of May!

I'm excited lol! I Hope Sony Japan talk about releaseing theirs soon! :(