Is there a final solution to uploading old MD recordings?

Rate this topic

cpueppke

Hello,

I am new to the site, and through it I just discovered that Sony has corrected it's horrible software problem with the new Hi-MD. I am a pianist and I use my N707 to record my music using Sony's instrumental mic. I understand that with the Hi-MD it is possible to make a CD out of the files recorded by uploading and converting to .wav format. Unfortunately, I noticed in the FAQ that you cannot upload files recorded by non-Hi-MD systems. My problem is that I have at least 10 minidiscs full of music (recorded by my NetMD). Is there any way to upload and convert these files, in light of the new Hi-MD system? (I don't understand why, since a computer recognizes a Hi-MD player as a USB mass storage device, you cannot copy files from an old MD.)

In all, I'm very confused and frustrated. If all else fails, I have a relative working at 3M who says they can convert MD to CD in their lab. Then, I suppose I could buy a new Hi-MD recorder (although I would have trouble giving MORE money to Sony after all of this).

Thanks a million!

The short answer is, only Hi-MD recordings can be transferred via SonicStage, so you're pretty much stuck with real-time analog re-recording via the computer's sound card line-in--unless you have access to a digital-output deck and a computer with SPDIF input, in which case you can go digital. Either process means some format conversion on the way to a WAV file that can be burned to a CD. I don't know what equipment the 3M guys have, but there's no avoiding some sort of transation from ATRAC to WAV.

In any case, despite the clunkiness and slowness of the process, the results should be more than decent--I've transferred many hours of regular MD recordings and found no fault with them that didn't originate with the mikes, the recording environment, or my playing. (The other musicians involved only faced the first two of those issues.)

I'll leave to more knowledgeable members the technical (and business) explanations of why this is the way it is.

I'll leave to more knowledgeable members the technical (and business) explanations of why this is the way it is.

:( So far no one has done so. Is there a fundamental reason why normal MD cannot be uploaded or has Sony just made an arbitrary decision?

I have a MDS-JE780 deck as well as MZ-N10. I make my own recordings hence no DRM issues. I know of no deck with HiMD.

I am discriminated against!

All right, in my ignorance of the finer points of the innards of the technology, I'll say that while standard-MD units lack the necessary hardware, I can't see any *technical* reason a Hi-MD unit should not be able to transfer standard MD data to a computer. If a standard MD disk is *playable* on a Hi-MD unit, the data ought to be transferrable via USB as well--though I'm willing to hear from those who have analyzed the internals of the hardware and firmware on this topic. I'm assuming that it's a firmware rather than a hardware issue--I can't see how the circuitry can care about the nature or format of the data. (Unlike the transfer-speed ceiling, say, which is rooted in things like the rotation speed and data density of the disk rather than refusal to implement USB 2.)

The prime suspect for the motive behind the upload limitation would be content protection, though the latest release of SonicStage suggests a loosening of that particular paranoia. I suppose one can hope that a third-generation Hi-MD might offer more complete backward compatibility with standard-format data.

What about those threads ?:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14420

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14120

And the various pinned threads about uploading ?

The support of HiMD deck is already very low (which is a pity), so the lack of support of older legacy products is not that surprising.

Windows 3.1/NT lacks full USB support, and Microsoft will do nothing about it.

HiMD are recognised as mass storage unit only with HiMD formatted disc, not NetMD. The format is just different. Having said that, I'll be glad if a next gen. HiMD unit could ease NetMD uploading, but I'm not holding my breath ...

Edit after Russell Letson post:

I also thing it has something to do with content protection (this would surely allow prerecorded MD uploading) and/or firmare. Sony should give up on their content protection, and spend R&D to update the firmware (assuming it can be done). With their restructuration and closing of manufactures, somehow I doubt it's on their priority list ...

Edited by Roamer

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I'm new here, and a TOTAL nerd when it comes to hi-fi audio. HOWEVER, I feel like I'm somewhat entitled to post here because of the EXTENSIVE, EXHAUSTIVE, LABORIOUS research I've done in my attempts to transfer recordings I've made on my MZ-N707 to my PC so that I can edit and copy them. I originally purchased my minidisc player in a pre-packaged bundle THAT INCLUDED THE MICROPHONE! It was marketed as a portable recorder. And, as we all know so well, it records like a mother-__cker. Better than anything I've ever heard, that's for sure. And the truth is, even if I never come across a way to transfer my files digitally to my PC, I will never stop using my N707 to record really important musical events. I even bought a home minidisc component to go with my stereo. But this is not news to any of you and it's not the purpose of my post today.

My reason for posting is to ask about the NEW Sony minidisc recorders. I've been under the impression that Sony actually permits you to upload recordings you've made on their HD walkmans. Yet from reading this thread it sounds like that's not true. I don't want to debate the pros and cons of Sony's products (I've signed more petitions on the subject than Carter's got pills). What I want to know is:

ARE THERE ANY SONY MINIDISC PRODUCTS THAT ARE TRULY CAPABLE OF (1) RECORDING LIVE and (2) TRANSFERRING LIVE RECORDINGS TO A PC??

If anyone has any real insight into this issue and/or advice about how I can convert my digital Sony files to DIGITAL files of any kind onto my PC, please email me: shannon at hiddenhills dot com.

Thanks.

Hi all, I'm new here, and a TOTAL nerd when it comes to hi-fi audio. HOWEVER, I feel like I'm somewhat entitled to post here because of the EXTENSIVE, EXHAUSTIVE, LABORIOUS research I've done in my attempts to transfer recordings I've made on my MZ-N707 to my PC so that I can edit and copy them. I originally purchased my minidisc player in a pre-packaged bundle THAT INCLUDED THE MICROPHONE! It was marketed as a portable recorder. And, as we all know so well, it records like a mother-__cker. Better than anything I've ever heard, that's for sure. And the truth is, even if I never come across a way to transfer my files digitally to my PC, I will never stop using my N707 to record really important musical events. I even bought a home minidisc component to go with my stereo. But this is not news to any of you and it's not the purpose of my post today.

My reason for posting is to ask about the NEW Sony minidisc recorders. I've been under the impression that Sony actually permits you to upload recordings you've made on their HD walkmans. Yet from reading this thread it sounds like that's not true. I don't want to debate the pros and cons of Sony's products (I've signed more petitions on the subject than Carter's got pills). What I want to know is:

ARE THERE ANY SONY MINIDISC PRODUCTS THAT ARE TRULY CAPABLE OF (1) RECORDING LIVE and (2) TRANSFERRING LIVE RECORDINGS TO A PC??

If anyone has any real insight into this issue and/or advice about how I can convert my digital Sony files to DIGITAL files of any kind onto my PC, please email me: shannon at hiddenhills dot com.

Thanks.

MZ-RH1 is your solution.