Sony ECM-DS70P

Rate this topic

maia

Hi guys & gals :D

Is the ECM-DS70P a nice microphone? It'd go along with the R700. I'm interested in recording interviews (most of the time) and live concerts (seldom). Can't really use it for much more, right? :unsure:

Best regards,

maia

It will be fine for interviews. It is directional, which is good for interviews.

For live music it will be somewhat tinny since its frequency range is 100-15,000 Hz and the full frequency range of music is 20-20,000 Hz. So you would be missing two octaves of bass and some high frequencies. I prefer omnidirectional mics for music because the sound is more enveloping and realistic.

The ECMDS70P also introduces self-noise that you would hear in quiet recordings--there are quieter microphones.

Although the ECMDS70P can plug directly into the MD, just sitting on the unit, you shouldn't use it that way because it will pick up the whirring of the MD motor. You need to put it on an extension cord. Which raises another problem: it's a little bulky.

In the U.S., a better starter microphone is the Sound Professionals BMC-2 (get it with the clips). You can put the pair of microphones right next to each other for a mono source like an interview--clip them to the source's shirt or collar, like a TV talk show--or you can separate them by six inches (like your ears) for a full-sounding stereo image of music. They're tiny, too; each one is smaller than your fingernail. Look on Ebay--sometimes SoundPros sells them at a discount there.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-BMC-2

Outside the US, this forum's microphone guru Greenmachine sells his own handmade ones. Ask for the MDCF discount.

http://greenmachine-audio.95mb.com/de-mic.html

Sony cuts off its bass response at 100 Hz to lessen a problem with the mic preamp in the MD unit: It can overload with strong bass. So if you are planning to record loud music with the SoundPros, you need one more gizmo: either an attenuator (Radio Shack Headphone Volume Control, $7) or a battery module (from Sound Professionals or Microphone Madness, about $60). But to me it is well worth it because the recording is so much more hi-fi. If there's too much bass, you can lessen it on playback, but if you've never recorded it, you can't add it later.

I'd say A440's reply is just about spot on.

I have this mic and for outside/live ambient recording it's superb. I use a little extension lead to avoid the MD's internal motor noise which can be picked up when plugged directly into the MD.

I've found it to be extremely good at voice recording, but if the location is noisy it does pick up all that too. (if that matters)

I'd say A440's reply is just about spot on.

I have this mic and for outside/live ambient recording it's superb. I use a little extension lead to avoid the MD's internal motor noise which can be picked up when plugged directly into the MD.

I've found it to be extremely good at voice recording, but if the location is noisy it does pick up all that too. (if that matters)

The package brings it anyway, lol. It's a shame that the micro gets the rotor sound when plugged in directly. I was going to use it directly :rolleyes: (most of the time).

Anyway, I just got one for 10.49£ shipped. Can't wait for it to arrive! Thanks for the opinions, but for the price, couldn't let it pass.

Best regards,

maia

That is a very good price yes. I paid some 10 times that a couple of years ago and it didn't have the included lead either!

I'm sure you will be pleased with it though.

Cheers

Just received it in the mail. Tried it and I'm loving it. It does however, pick the motor when plugged in directly! Hopefully it'll give me a lot of recordings trouble-free! Thanks for the comments!

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking about buying this one too. I have the SP-TFB2 Binaurals and I can get the mount for them but i dont want to futz around with that. I need a little mic setup that's quick for recording some sound effects around the house, not too much outside in the field(so much traffic in my city). I thought about Rode shotguns but I don't want to bother with the issues those bring to a minidisc.

As for the motor whir on the Sony ECM and similar mics - I found this cute little accessory.

http://www.minidisc-canada.com/shopexd.asp?id=10

Does anyone know any similar mics to the ECM that sound really good for cheap?