RH1: nice!

Rate this topic

jrhughes

I engineered a trip to my nearest Sony Centre a couple of days ago, whilst with the Other Half, and found that they had an RH1 on display. I was told they only had the one and that they were a special order item - but that they would let me have the display one if I really wanted it. I checked it over (it was fine, still had the display protectors on), got approval from my lovely fiancee (of course) and plonked down £250.

I must say that it's better than I was expecting. I have been waiting for this since it was announced, following comments on this forum and noting what people were saying about its display, etc. I already have the NH1 so I know a well-built MD unit when I see one, and the RH1 is up there with the best. From the pictures I'd seen I thought the display was a little odd, but now I see exactly why it's made that way. With its little rubber feet and front-facing display, it's far more usable than, say, the NH1 in static situations as well as portable alike.

Anyway, the biggest surprise for me is the ability to upload my *digitally* recorded legacy MDs (optical recordings made with my JB930) and then download them onto Hi-MD. I wasn't expecting to be able to do this with digital recordings, only analogue. Most of my legacy MDs are actually recordings of my vinyl LPs, but I do have a few digital discs which I can now put onto fewer Hi-MDs. Nice!

minidisc-canada. I figured what the heck-- price comes to about $300 USD, they ship to the US (international even, I think), and it's been confirmed that the Canada market is getting black... why not? :)

I've never ordered from there before though-- who knows how long shipping will take to get to the U.S. from there (Quebec apparently?)

Edited by Rumz

Christmas came early for me. Have had the RH1 for about 5 days now and it is just freakin sweet. IMO - the BEST MD model (Hi-MD or otherwise) ever made.

I can also confirm that it looks like Canada is designated to carry the Black MZ-RH1 (and not re-packaged as the MZ200 like in the US)

Edited by karmageddon

minidisc-canada. I figured what the heck-- price comes to about $300 USD, they ship to the US (international even, I think), and it's been confirmed that the Canada market is getting black... why not? :)

I've never ordered from there before though-- who knows how long shipping will take to get to the U.S. from there (Quebec apparently?)

I also ordered mine from MDC. US$325 shipped is pretty good. From their FAQ, it sounds like shipments to Canada and the US take 1-6 business days. I find this hard to beleive with customs, but let's hope!

My shipping address is different than my billing cuz ship to work. Even though this is a verified address with my card, I still had to return a phone call from MDC to verify. Anyways, got back to them too late and todays shipments already went out. They have a holiday Monday, so it won't ship 'til Tuesday. SUX!!!

Rumz, please let me know when urs arrives so I can estimate how long mine will take.