MZ-RH10 test mode

Rate this topic

nathantw666

Howdy,

My minidisc went haywire and refused to play any mindiscs. When I popped the disc out and put it back in the flashing "Walkman" was on the screen and nothing else. I tried blowing air into the unit to see if I could clean the laser and other parts thinking that dust was the problem. It didn't help. I ended up just letting it sit there doing its own thing. Suddenly the unit "fixed" itself 5 minutes later. It's worked since then.

I then looked up the how to get into the test mode to see if there was a diagnostics screen. I found it and found that the first 2 diagnostics screens showed 00003 or laser focus. Do you think there's a way to fix that without any tools or equipment? Should I pay $100 and get it fixed under Sony "warranty?" What do you think?

Howdy,

My minidisc went haywire and refused to play any mindiscs. When I popped the disc out and put it back in the flashing "Walkman" was on the screen and nothing else. I tried blowing air into the unit to see if I could clean the laser and other parts thinking that dust was the problem. It didn't help. I ended up just letting it sit there doing its own thing. Suddenly the unit "fixed" itself 5 minutes later. It's worked since then.

I then looked up the how to get into the test mode to see if there was a diagnostics screen. I found it and found that the first 2 diagnostics screens showed 00003 or laser focus. Do you think there's a way to fix that without any tools or equipment? Should I pay $100 and get it fixed under Sony "warranty?" What do you think?

u mean your unit is still under warranty but u still have to pay $100? but i thought your unit fixed itself? what unit do u have?

u mean your unit is still under warranty but u still have to pay $100? but i thought your unit fixed itself? what unit do u have?

Yeah, everyone is right. I have an RH10 (and an R55 if we're keeping count, but there's nothing wrong with that one). The unit was purchased right after Xmas last year, so it's still under the 1 year warranty for parts. Labor is what will cost, according to one person who posted.

The unit "fixed" itself, but there's no telling when it'll start acting up again. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting the laser focused or not? If any other person has a working RH10 and is willing to go into the test mode, can you tell me if yours is reporting a laser focus problem too?

Thanks

Nathan

FWIW.... I was just quoted that $29 refurb exchange...sent the unit in....got back the same unit with a $99 labor fee chargerd to my credit card....I would print out that $29 quote and make sure it's iron-clad.

ARGH!

My unit worked flawlessly yesterday but today it's skipping like a record needle on record with a cookie crumb jammed between a grove. Irritating!