MZ-RH1 : stopping auto track insertion

Rate this topic

pmiles

I am hoping this is going to be simple.

I am trying to defeat the automatic track mark insertion my MZRH1 inserts into a recording every time the sound level drops.

in the manual " Time mark - Off = Track marks are inserted automatically as they appear in the sound source"

if only that were true.

Today for example, after recording a singing practice to my MzRH1 I had 65 'tracks'! (I am recording from a line level feed from a mixing desk ). I am getting really frustrated because I am spending way more time than I want after recording stitching these 'tracks' back together into a single recording before I can make use of them.

I use manual record levels on the RH1 and adjust so average record level is -10 to-12 db to allow for a bit of head room. (for drums an tambourines.)

is there something hiding in the menu of the RH1 that allows this feature to be turned off?

Cheers

katon :(

No, it can't be turned off (despite occasional rumours to the contrary).

There's a freeware program called "mediajoin" out there somewhere which is good for quickly stitching the tracks into one after downloading to PC.

Or open them in Reaper (www.reaperaudio.com) (DAW program with unlimited free trial, but pay the $40 if you really use it) which, if set right in preferences, will put the files one next to the other on a single track, and you can do what you like from there, then use File > Render to mix it down to a single new file. And there's a utility called ReaBurn (written by yours truly) which enables stuff prepared in Reaper easily to be burned to CD.

When you upload the tracks to SonicStage you can also combine them once they're on the computer. Just highlight them in the order you want to combine them and, under Edit, Combine the tracks.

Note: There is no Undo command. So don't highlight them in reverse order, as I once did, or you'll have a messed-up track. (Though you could always upload again from the disc.)

SonicStage will also Divide tracks if you want to do that, also under Edit.

No, it can't be turned off (despite occasional rumours to the contrary).

There's a freeware program called "mediajoin" out there somewhere which is good for quickly stitching the tracks into one after downloading to PC.

Or open them in Reaper (www.reaperaudio.com) (DAW program with unlimited free trial, but pay the $40 if you really use it) which, if set right in preferences, will put the files one next to the other on a single track, and you can do what you like from there, then use File > Render to mix it down to a single new file. And there's a utility called ReaBurn (written by yours truly) which enables stuff prepared in Reaper easily to be burned to CD.

Hi ozpeter

Too bad track insertion can't be turned off. Do sony have a user suggestion list somewhere?. I'm guessing it would only need to be a firmware upgrade.

Thanks for the heads up on reaper and media join. I will have to look for another solution for the mean time as my platform is MAC. This also means that I cant use sonic stage either, as A440 suggested.

At least I can stop re-reading my manual to see if there was something I had missed.

Thanks

katon

@ reefbeef... that was the mythical workaround that has been circulating these forums ozpeter mentioned. It doesn't work when using line-in and as greenmachine once told me: "it only works for mic-in as mic-in doesn't create trackmarks on silence" :P

conclusion: there is no way to overcome this, just live with it and learn to use the combine function (on PC) or an alternative for mac

• 2 weeks later...

A long shot, but I'm using a homebuilt analog to digital

signal converter that outputs the signal in a fiber toslink.

When recording from that I do not get any track marks.

I usually connect it to a radio to record night transmissions.

Its something like this:

http://www.trianglecables.com/adv-2000.html

Edited by thomasraden