Please Help MD to PC

Rate this topic

Tietsort

I'm close to having Win NMD set up but it's not recognizing an MD unit and I'm getting the "Error 6" message when I test compatibility. What are the "Sony updates" that I need and where do I get them?

Does anyone have a solution that is more simple or more direct to get the tracks from a disc recorded in MD to my PC?

Thank you for your help.

I'm assuming you have an NetMD unit, with a USB connection--MZ-Nxxx ?

The most basic solution is to just record in realtime with Audacity and separate the tracks later.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=7070

WinNMD or Hi-MDRenderer automate the process a little bit by using SonicStage to control playback, and to make each track on the disc a separate recorded track. Otherwise they are still just recording out of the headphone jack.

What version of SonicStage do you have installed? You are better off with 4.0, which you can find in Downloads or here:

http://s23.quicksharing.com/v/9374647/Soni...200_UN.exe.html

Also try Hi-MD Renderer, which has the same capabilities as WinNMD. It's in Downloads.

The MDAC Repair Tool, also in Downloads, may fix some problems on recognizing the unit.

I'm close to having Win NMD set up but it's not recognizing an MD unit and I'm getting the "Error 6" message when I test compatibility. What are the "Sony updates" that I need and where do I get them?

Does anyone have a solution that is more simple or more direct to get the tracks from a disc recorded in MD to my PC?

Thank you for your help.

Which MD unit?

You're all awesome. I know it seems a little strange. We started with the 900. We're recording lectures. Recorded with it for a while then the lecturer wanted to avoid needing a microphone. The BZ100 will record w/out the mic but only in NetMD not HiMD and won't connect to PC. The people who sold it to us didn't say and we didn't think to ask. (Honestly Sony stinks for creating such incompatability across one platform.) So when we put the NetMD disc into the 900 to download to PC we we're in for a bit of a surprise. Obviously we're back to recording on the 900 but we have too much information on other discs to just let it all go.

If you have any other tips please include them. Thank you for taking the time. Very cool of you all.

Now I understand what you're trying to do, and it's not hard. You need a current SonicStage, at least 3.4, so make sure that's installed first.

Then download Hi-MD Renderer from the invaluable Marcnet. You'll have to log in again.

http://forums.minidisc.org/downloads/download.php?file=3

Unzip it to a location where you can find it, like your desktop: You'll get a Hi-MD Renderer folder. It doesn't really install like a fancy Windows program--you just click the .exe file in the folder. Or tuck the folder away somewhere and make a shortcut to the .exe file.

When you've opened Hi-MD Renderer, look on the bottom in the middle and you'll see MD Recorder. Click on it. Connect your NH900 with your disc from the BZ100 in it with two cords: the USB cord AND a stereo miniplug-to-stereo miniplug cord from your headphone jack into your computer's Line-in jack, probably white. If you have a dinky laptop (like I do) and it only has a mic jack, use that.

Click on HiMDRendererWin.exe and look on the bottom in the middle for MD Recorder, and click on that.

It should show a list of the tracks on the MD with timings. Highlight what you want, choose a directory for them, click Go Record!

It's a realtime recording. Try one short track first to test.

When recording through a microphone jack rather than a Line-in jack, you may get a buzz or hum because mic jacks are not noted for clean sound. If it's not a good enough signal, then invest $35 in a Griffin Imic, which is a USB line input and output (also mic in and out), and you'll be able to use it as a line input for cleaner sound. You need to have 2 USB ports on your computer. A USB hub may or may not give you trouble--sometimes it messes up SonicStage.

I've been in Hi-MD land for a while now, so this is the first time I had tried Hi-MD Renderer for this, and Marc has done a great job--better than WinNMD, and free. He's just one guy who made the program himself, so send him a Paypal donation through his website if you can.

Hi-MD Renderer will also convert Hi-MD formatted files you have uploaded with the NH900 to other file types, like .mp3, without first converting them to .wav as Sony makes you do.

Oh, and blame your seller, not Sony, for pretending the BZ100 was a current unit. When the BZ100 was made, Sony was thinking of minidisc as a replacement for the cassette, and didn't anticipate computer connectivity. Sony has a lot to answer for--it should have made old MD recordings uploadable from every Hi-MD unit, not just the RH1--but the NH900 documentation does makes clear that it won't upload old MD formats.

What the old WinNMD did with NetMD units was to use SonicStage to play back one track at a time from the MD (controlling it through the USB) and record it (from the headphone jack). You'd have to ask Marc in the Hi-MDRenderer forum what the mechanism is, but his program achieves the same thing--yes, it does control the NH900.

It's not a function you usually need with the NH900, since you can upload its own recordings. But in I need a hand's circumstances--SP recordings and the NH900--it works.

• 11 months later...

I can detect files on NetMD but I get the following error when trying to record

Error 492-0-20000000 HIMDRenderer could not detect any sound capture devices registered with direct sound. Please ensure you have the latest Direct X and sound card devices installed

What is directsound? I have updated my sound card devices but still it doesn't record.

Edited by debs

There's also a separate Hi-MD Renderer forum under Software. And if I were you I would try sending an email to marc or marcnet @ his website address and if see it goes through.

Are you on Vista? I don't know if Hi-MD Renderer has been updated for Vista. The only SonicStage that works on Vista is 4.3

The XP computer will also have to have SonicStage on it.

Edited by A440