Charging gumstick: problems with NH900

Rate this topic

swr350

I'm new to this forum but have tried reading threads relevant to my question---and I'm still not sure this particular item has been fully addressed. I have a Sony MZ-NH900 and recently replaced the gumstick battery with a higher capacity version (MAh 1400). However, when I press the "charge" button on the unit, the flashing charge sign goes out after an hour, two hours, 15 minutes---it varies. When I press the button again, the screen once again indicates the unit is charging. I recall someone stating that the last 20% of the battery charge is in trickle mode and does not necessarily display on the screen. However, no matter how many times I re-press the button, it always indicates that it is charging once again. When I finally tire of this ritual and start to play music, the capacity meter only indicates full for a brief period and then declines to two or three bars.

I've ordered a second battery and will see if this improves matters. Would appreciate others' thoughts. Thanks in advance--John

The NH900 has a horrible battery meter which chronically gives an artificially low readout. I've been able to play MDs for hours with a no-bar flashing meter. You'll just have to ignore it and assume you actually have more power than it reads. Regarding the charging: I think that the battery charger will always try to charge the battery, regardless of whether or not it's drained, because it can't immediately tell whether it needs a charge. If the battery is fully charged, it will take a little while for the charger to realize that the battery is not taking a charge, and then it will stop. If it's drained, it will continue to charge until full. It's different from laptops, which use lithium batteries, which have a lot of extra circuitry to tell the charger whether or not a charge is needed.

I actually use an external charger (from www.budgetbatteries.com) so that I can always have a charged battery ready. I've heard some people say an external charger does a better job than the MD player's charger, but I've never compared them myself.

The NH900 has a horrible battery meter which chronically gives an artificially low readout. I've been able to play MDs for hours with a no-bar flashing meter. You'll just have to ignore it and assume you actually have more power than it reads. Regarding the charging: I think that the battery charger will always try to charge the battery, regardless of whether or not it's drained, because it can't immediately tell whether it needs a charge. If the battery is fully charged, it will take a little while for the charger to realize that the battery is not taking a charge, and then it will stop. If it's drained, it will continue to charge until full. It's different from laptops, which use lithium batteries, which have a lot of extra circuitry to tell the charger whether or not a charge is needed.

I actually use an external charger (from www.budgetbatteries.com) so that I can always have a charged battery ready. I've heard some people say an external charger does a better job than the MD player's charger, but I've never compared them myself.

Thanks---this helps.

Sounds to me that your battery suffers from the memory effect and/or the effects of over-charging.

The memory effect is typical for Ni-CD and Ni-MH rechargeables and tends to occur when the battery is recharged without first being discharged. It shows its effects in a weaker than usual battery (capacity loss). The affected battery can be reconditioned by a few complete discharge - charge cycles.

Overcharging on the other hand is a more serious problem with non-reversible effects (permanent capacity loss, deformation). If you force the charger to continue after its full battery detection has interrupted charging, you risk to overcharge.

For a more thorough guide how to take care of your batteries, visit:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/