MZ RH1 display noise

Rate this topic

CoinOp

Hi, I'm a new poster here. I finally bought a new MZ RH1 to replace the cassette WM D6C I was STILL using for gig and field recordings. On balance, the sound quality is unbeatable, however...

When recording from the mic input (so far I've only used a studio mic - a sennheiser MD441 through a stereo adaptor then through a grado 1/4" to 3.5mm jack adaptor into the mic socket) I notice audible ticking that seems to be in sync with the display. Turning the display off has no effect. Also there is some of what sounds like motor noise. At current levels, it's sort of ruining any recordings. Line in recordings are fine. There is also sometimes static noise if I touch the controls. Turning the machine around sometimes solves the problem. It's almost like it isn't grounded properly.

Just wondering if this is normal before I go marching into the Sony service centre.

thanks,

Tony

OK, problem solved. I think it was my mistake, as I'm accustomed to monitoring levels and things through earphones while recording.

It seems you can't have the headphones/remote plugged in while recording, unless you want audible display and motor noise on the recording. It's a bit finnicky, but I can live with it. Back to loving this little machine now.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could confirm that theirs does the same.

I have heard problems if the remote is attached when recording, worth a try if that was the case.

Good luck, and welcome,

Bob

EEK! You beat me to it. You were right.

Nice car by the way.

You shouldn't have any issues just with headphones to monitor, it's something with the way the remote is/isn't shielded. Granted, I haven't done a ton of recording, but have never had anything untoward appearing on my recordings on my RH1 listening in with headphones.

Although when you mention "touching the controls", do you mean on the remote or the unit itself? If the unit itself, there may be some grounding issues. I've also never noticed motor noises on the recordings, although that was probably the interference from the remote's light.

Edited by Justin42

You shouldn't have any issues just with headphones to monitor, it's something with the way the remote is/isn't shielded. Granted, I haven't done a ton of recording, but have never had anything untoward appearing on my recordings on my RH1 listening in with headphones.

Although when you mention "touching the controls", do you mean on the remote or the unit itself? If the unit itself, there may be some grounding issues. I've also never noticed motor noises on the recordings, although that was probably the interference from the remote's light.

Yup, it's fine with just the headphones. The static was caused by me recording some guitar direct from the mic level output of an amp attenuator with the grounding all messed up - there was some kind of grounding problem but it was from my set up, NOT the RH1. That combined with the noise from the remote created the appearance of a problem.....Put it all down to the trials of noobness.

Yup, it's fine with just the headphones. The static was caused by me recording some guitar direct from the mic level output of an amp attenuator with the grounding all messed up - there was some kind of grounding problem but it was from my set up, NOT the RH1. That combined with the noise from the remote created the appearance of a problem.....Put it all down to the trials of noobness.

I have had problems with the remote connected when going in via the MIC input. Whenever you change levels it does give some static diginoise. That was my experience with the RH10 and the RH1. I have even noticed some without the remote when changing levels on the RH1 going MIC input. But, I usually go LINE INPUT with a preamp but do stealth with the MIC input. Best advice when going MIC input is to find a good level and leave that thing alone (to quote Rush) you can always normalize for higher levels later.

Without the remote connected, I measured very satisfactory performance from my RH1.

Using my soundcard and attenuators into the mic input at max gain, RMAA reported -124.4 dBu

http://beale.best.vwh.net/measure/audio/MZ...Mic_30_150Z.htm

which I think is better than any other battery-powered mic preamp as small as the RH1 unit.

Measurements aside, I'm very happy with the RH1 sound quality so far. Note- I never tried recording with the remote connected. I think my mics are the weakest link in the chain, at this point.