Thinking of getting an RH1, couple of questions...

Rate this topic

watcher666

Hi

I have been a massive fan of MiniDisc since i got my first player in 96, I even remember the cinema ads at the time with to joggers running through the desert being "perfect copies"!!!

Anyway, about a year ago i got an ipod and abandoned my minidiscs. Now, im thinking of getting back into it again and getting an RH1.

My first question is, Can i upload all my old minidiscs recorded using the digital optical input into the PC via the RH1 then copy them back onto Hi-MD's in Hi-SP mode with no loss of quality? Or will i have to use ATRAC advance lossless for that?

And secondly, Should i bother??? I dont want to make this step only to find the format abandoned by sony etc. As i am actually happy with my ipod and it's sound quality (everything imported from CD at 256kbps AAC) but have had a big soft spot for MD and feel a little twinge of guilt evertime i find an old disc laying around!

Please help me decide!

You can upload all your optical digital MD recordings to PC via the RH1 - and transfer them back to Hi-MDs. If they were originally recorded in Hi-MD mode (Hi-SP,Hi-LP,PCM), or LP2/4 then they can be transferred back without quality loss (in the same format). If they were SP there will be some quality loss due to transcoding unless you upload them as Wav.

Whether you get an RH1 as MD/ATRAC is a dead format is up to you and your needs - I'm keeping mine...

You can upload your legacy recordings via USB with the RH1 provided that the discs weren't created using SonicStage on another computer..

If you have a lot of material in legacy formats, the RH1 may be the only way to get that material uploaded digitally (and faster than realtime) and into some other "open" format.

Nobody is very sure about the future of Hi-MD, but as I said if you have a lot of older discs the RH1 may be worth it for you/

The RH1 is a Recorder , and it sounds like you just want a Player , the EH50 , Eh70 , 930 etc are player only modes and will play all those old disc's quite well .

But if you want to get them into the computer , then you need the interface , and the RH1 is a good way to go .