The Dark Side - mp3 players with SD cards

Rate this topic

sallymae_hogsby

I can never get those to work on the Mac , I even tried using a card reader , to transfer the songs then put the card into it , .......no go

maybe that will get fixed soon , just for toting a set of guitar lesson material , or language lessons , it would be nice to have one of those cheapies , so I dont have to beat up on my Md's all the time .

Edited by Guitarfxr

MiniDisc recorders are inherently different than mp3 players. Having said that, there are a few threads around here with reviews of flash-based recorders that may or may not be of interest to you (depending on what you need, player or recorder).

Thanks! I should have been more clear. What I'm talking about is more as a player. I have more music stored on minidiscs (mainly compilations copied from my CDs) than would fit on even the largest iPod. I cycle thru them (it takes a few years). I don't plan on actually switching to SD cards (I have several MD players stored away for the future), but was curious whether mp3 players with SD cards realistically work as a "format". (Compatability issues, whether SD cards can be trusted to play several years later, etc.)

Sandisc/Sansa seems to kind of support the idea (most recently with microSD slots) but only on some models. And the players seems to be rather cheap. I'll look thru the other threads and see if anyone's tried SD cards as a portable music storage medium.

I have more music stored on minidiscs (mainly compilations copied from my CDs) than would fit on even the largest iPod. I cycle thru them (it takes a few years).

Oh really? The largest iPod is 160GB. Even when using HiMD, that would be roughly 160 discs. Let's assume that's true, you'll need a lot of SD cards, unless you have a lot of money to buy 8GB SDHC cards. Not pratical, plus it's very hard to label/identify SD cards.

Oh really? The largest iPod is 160GB. Even when using HiMD, that would be roughly 160 discs. Let's assume that's true, you'll need a lot of SD cards, unless you have a lot of money to buy 8GB SDHC cards. Not pratical, plus it's very hard to label/identify SD cards.

I have several hundred discs , collected over 15 years , dont doubt him/her on the collection issue ,.......... My wife is ALWAYS complaining about my MD's being all over the place .

We are in a Two story house , with 6 rooms , ...............and there are MD's in every dang one of em !

I have several hundred discs , collected over 15 years , dont doubt him/her on the collection issue ,.......... My wife is ALWAYS complaining about my MD's being all over the place .

We are in a Two story house , with 6 rooms , ...............and there are MD's in every dang one of em !

I get that complaint all the time of all my stuff, even the records and stereo I still have left in Canada. Got hell for it taking space in my son's basement, an arrangement that he suggested!! Can't wait to see the reaction when she notices that DAT deck!!I've got my minidiscs split pretty well between home and work, and a few in the car, still I want more. MDA is a good thing,

Bob

Thanks! I should have been more clear. What I'm talking about is more as a player. I have more music stored on minidiscs (mainly compilations copied from my CDs) than would fit on even the largest iPod. I cycle thru them (it takes a few years). I don't plan on actually switching to SD cards (I have several MD players stored away for the future), but was curious whether mp3 players with SD cards realistically work as a "format". (Compatability issues, whether SD cards can be trusted to play several years later, etc.)

Sandisc/Sansa seems to kind of support the idea (most recently with microSD slots) but only on some models. And the players seems to be rather cheap. I'll look thru the other threads and see if anyone's tried SD cards as a portable music storage medium.

I got my wife a 4 GB Sansa and she loves it, haven't tried the SD card on it yet, when the unit gets full I'll explore the option. Wife likes the simplicity, I love taking and changing discs!!

Have fun in your choice

Bob