Sony MXD-D3

Rate this topic

phonophan79

Greetings all -

I'm having some trouble with my Sony MXD-D3.

The CD portion plays fine, put in a CD, it reads, press play, see levels on the electric meter and it plays good.

The MD side tho... I put in a MD, it reads, all my titles, tracks and all... it looks like its playing, it sounds like the machine itself is physically playing the disc... but no sound is being produced. There are no levels on the electric meter either.

I originally only had a Sony MD walkman, so I wanted a stand alone unit as well... MD was such a great format. It's ashame we're all stuck with crappy CDs here in America. ...and the death of physical music now with ipods and all, but I digress. :-)

I hope anyone can help. Thanks in advance for your time!

Greetings all -

The CD portion plays fine, put in a CD, it reads, press play, see levels on the electric meter and it plays good.

The MD side tho... I put in a MD, it reads, all my titles, tracks and all... it looks like its playing, it sounds like the machine itself is physically playing the disc... but no sound is being produced. There are no levels on the electric meter either.

I originally only had a Sony MD walkman, so I wanted a stand alone unit as well... MD was such a great format. It's ashame we're all stuck with crappy CDs here in America. ...and the death of physical music now with ipods and all, but I digress. :-)

I Think that is an SP model, are you trying LP or HI-MD in it?

Bob

I Think that is an SP model, are you trying LP or HI-MD in it?

Bob

Hrmmmm... well, all my MDs are all from the late 90s / early 2000's timeframe.

They are either 74 or 80 minutes. I'm not sure how to tell an SP or LP minidisc from the other?

Again, if you put it in the machine it reads the tracks, the info/text and when i hit play it begins track counting and you hear the disc spinning in the machine... but no sound is diplayed on the LED audio meter nor is any sound being produced. (whereas the CD does produce audio meter levels and plays fine)

This is normal behaviour for an LP2 disk (anything that was made on a NetMD unless you took very special care to make SP disk, and even then it is only "fake SP" ie LP2 padded with blank bits to make it compatible with SP players). The MXD-D3 has only SP playback. The walkman probably generated LP2.

You can edit the titles on your deck, but that is about all you can do.

One way to check is to compare the size of what you actually expect on disk. Eg some Mahler symphonies are > 80 minutes, so there is no way they fit on SP. Perhaps you can remember what was there if you look at the titles displayed.

Greetings all -

Simple test:

If you have a blank MD or one that can be appended to, try this:

1. Put a CD in the CD section of the MXD-R3.

2. Put the MD in the MD slot.

3. Try to dub from the CD to the MD, internally. You don't have to record the entire CD or even an entire track.

4. Stop recording.

5. Play back the MD, making sure you're playing the track or tracks you just recorded.

6. Let us know the results.

The MXD-D3 is indeed SP-only and won't play LP tracks, at least so you can hear them.

Edited by bluecrab

• 2 weeks later...