Pump Up The Volume!

Rate this topic

Ok, so I have a MZ NH600 Hi-MD player. Usually I play it thru the AUX input on my receiver in the car and the volume is fine. But yesterday when I plugged some headphones to listen to it at work, the volume was really low...even with the unit volume at 30. I tried a few more headphones and all with the same results. I also noticed that the battery was about dead so I replaced it, but that had no effect.

To be fair, all these headphones are the cheap-$2-my-wife-boutght-them-at-Walmart variety. I don't have any decent in-ear plugs. I have checked the audio settings and the hold button and all seem normal. Could my problem be just these cheesy headphones? Can some recommend some decent in-ear plugs that might produce better results?

Try going into the Menu and scroll to 'Useful', then into 'Audio Out' where you can choose between 'Line Out' and 'Headphone'. In 'Line Out' mode, the output volume is pre set and intended to be controlled at the amplifier you are plugged into. In 'Headphone' mode you can control the volume on the unit.

If the disc you were listening to had been recorded at a low record volume and your machine was indeed set to 'Line Out', that could explain why you got such low volume with headphones attached and couldn't raise the volume.

-Jim

Try going into the Menu and scroll to 'Useful', then into 'Audio Out' where you can choose between 'Line Out' and 'Headphone'. In 'Line Out' mode, the output volume is pre set and intended to be controlled at the amplifier you are plugged into. In 'Headphone' mode you can control the volume on the unit.

If the disc you were listening to had been recorded at a low record volume and your machine was indeed set to 'Line Out', that could explain why you got such low volume with headphones attached and couldn't raise the volume.

-Jim

i think its the headphones

-Jim

Well, I do have a "USEFUL" selection, but it is a search function (artist, album, song title and group) there is no "audio out" selection. The only other options I have a far as sound goes is "sound" which has submenus of "normal" and "sound eq"...just an eq setting menu. There is an "AVLS" option and I have turned it off, but it does not seem to effect the problem.

I think I am going to Radio Shack later on and buy a tad-more expensive pair of plugs and see how that affects the volume.

I'll defer to Azureal on the headphones as the likely culprit.

But, just to clean up the issue of the choices in you menu's 'Useful' category, you have to access the menu on the unit itself with that button just next to jog dial near the top labeled NAV-MENU. Hold down that button for a few seconds to go past NAV (navigation) to the menu.

Apparently the 'Audio Out' choice in 'Useful' does not appear when you access the menu with the remote. Probably because when the remote is attached the unit defaults to Headphone mode only and cannot be changed. So if you do find that Audio Out option, do so without the remote attached and you should see both choices.

I don't know why the assumption was made that a person would only use 'line out' without using the remote but, if you happen to use your headphones without the remote, you may want to check that you're in Headphone mode so you can control the volume out. GL with the headphone search