MDS-JE480 - any users here?

Rate this topic

Soundbox

I see the JE480 is a brisk seller on the used market. I was wondering what it was like and what the quality is. Seems like it must have been a good seller in its time. I do see that it has ATRAC Type-S, but does that make a difference on Hi-Fi models or is it mainly for the portables?

All and any info appreciated.

I am assuming that you know that the Type S applies to LP playback only and has no effect on SP playback or on any kind of recording. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I formerly owned a JE480. The Type S was OK, but IMO the 480 still didn't do as well (certainly no better than) as the Type-R-only JB940 with LP2. My comparison is based on the two decks being part of the same larger system - I replaced the 480 with the 940 - so it's pretty much apples-to-apples. This is not to say the JE480 didn't sound good - because it did. It's just not as good as some of my other decks.

I found that the JE480 wasn't as easy to use, too, because you need to do a lot with AMS knob to do things for which on better units there are easier methods, involving fewer menus, button-pushes, and so forth. This is a matter of convenience, but to me it was important.

After a while, the JE480 failed with the dreaded TOC Error. I fooled around in Service Mode a bit and got it to work, then it would fail again, I would reset it, it would work for a while and then fail, and so on. Finally I just gave away the unit to my brother, who experienced the same problems. It's only fair to note that said brother has another JE480 that works just fine, although he considers the JE480 suitable only for casual, not serious listening to music, in any mode.

Would I buy another JE480? The short answer is Probably Not, unless I found myself in a situation where I needed an inexpensive MD deck in a hurry. My current in-use decks are: MDS-JA333ES, MDS-JB940, MXD-D400, and MXD-D40. I would say, in an offhand way, that the JE480 has about the same SQ as the MXD-D400 - acceptable, but I have better options available.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 of the JE480 and I generally agree with BC's observations. I will add that the 480 really does make LP4 sound a little better than out of my 940. A good one for under $100 is a steal in my opinion. With a digital out mod it will be right there with the much more expensive units. It does have pretty good 24 bit chips in it...

Another good thing about these units is that they were marketed to the lower end hi-fi crowd. Those who didn't care much about features but wanted to have MiniDisc in their system. The 3 I've bought used don't seem to be used much at all. Seeing how MD died so quick on America's shores, I don't think the owners used them much. On to the next fad I guess. All good for us though, huh?

• 2 years later...

Totally agree with the usage.

I just checked my second JE480 for total play/rec stats. Nice to see these were play 18h and rec 6h (means 24h then, right?)

It came defect and i was happy to find the problem.The disc didn´t turn but the motor was all good.So i was lucky to just pull up the magnetic plate where the discs sits in and it was working perfectly. It was C13 before that :D:P i like these with C13