Audio level from optical S/PDIF very low, control is missing

Rate this topic

Tom B

I have an Intel mother board (model DG45ID) that gives me an optical output that is accepted by my Minidisk recorders. It is an S/PDIF. The volume level is very low, with only a couple of bars showing on the record meters when record volume on the MD recorder is set all the way up.

I expected to find a volume control for the optical output in the Windows XP-Pro control panel, but there is none. The Intel mother board came with an IDT audio control program. I don't find a level control for the optical output there, either.

So I'm looking for a way to resolve this. Is there a control for the audio level that should appear in the Windows control panel or IDT control panel that is being interfered with by Sonic Sonic Stage, or maybe Sony Sound Forge 9?

A properly implemented digital audio output (and input for that matter) has no level controls - it's a means of transferring the audio data unchanged from one device to another.

Are you sure that the level is somehow being changed along the way?

On the contrary, my Terratec (widely recommended for the quality of its optical out) has indeed a level control. Probably somewhere in the registry there's something controlling the volume. But most likely OP will find there's a particular sound control that is specific to this system. Maybe not calling up the right piece of software. For sure, the STANDARD Windows XP volume control won't help you. But the custom one for that mother board should do.

I note in passing that some Sony decks seem to have rather a low level of (constant) optical output, but that the later ones all had a way to adjust the signal.

My $0.02 (not worth much).....

A properly implemented digital audio output (and input for that matter) has no level controls - it's a means of transferring the audio data unchanged from one device to another.

That's the way I always thought it should work

Are you sure that the level is somehow being changed along the way?

Yes. The S/PDIF optical connector is on my Intel mother board. The Intel board was supplied with an IDT audio control panel. I've discovered the audio level on the optical connector varies with the audio level on the IDT control panel. But even when turned all the way up there, and on the Sony recorder, it is too low. (Yes I would much prefer to have a fixed audio level that is unchanged, as you've said.)

It appears other products have audio level controls for S/PIDF

applications. Click here:

http://snapstream.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1402

http://www.jensign.com/spdif/index.html

http://www.htomega.com/faq13.html

On the contrary, my Terratec (widely recommended for the quality of its optical out) has indeed a level control. Probably somewhere in the registry there's something controlling the volume. But most likely OP will find there's a particular sound control that is specific to this system. Maybe not calling up the right piece of software. For sure, the STANDARD Windows XP volume control won't help you. But the custom one for that mother board should do.

I note in passing that some Sony decks seem to have rather a low level of (constant) optical output, but that the later ones all had a way to adjust the signal.

My $0.02 (not worth much).....

This IDT Audio Control Panel has a 10 band equalizer and support for 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound speaker configurations. I am only using two speakers (powered speakers) connected to the 'front' connector. I notice there is one audio jack for "center/lfe" and wonder if that would give me a mono source. There are some controls on the IDT where I can't find documentation with the Intel mother board (model DG45ID), but I don't think they have anything to do with setting the audio level to the optical output. Thanks.

Again, FWIW, my Terratec reminds me that the S/PDIF only outputs Stereo 2 channel sound for its digital output. So I think you'd have trouble getting a genuine mono output.

Ahhhh.... now I remember something. The early Sony decks all had a bug which corresponded to the L and R being out of phase. Net effect, output signal way lower than it should be. I'll try and find the reference. Here you go:

http://www.minidisc.org/mono_volume_loss.html

Were you trying to get mono output?

Again, FWIW, my Terratec reminds me that the S/PDIF only outputs Stereo 2 channel sound for its digital output. So I think you'd have trouble getting a genuine mono output.

Ahhhh.... now I remember something. The early Sony decks all had a bug which corresponded to the L and R being out of phase. Net effect, output signal way lower than it should be. I'll try and find the reference. Here you go:

http://www.minidisc....olume_loss.html

Were you trying to get mono output?

Mono output? Yes, I could make good use of that.

• 1 month later...

The audio volume level to the optical input to my Minidisk recorder from the optical S/PDIF output connector on my Intel mother board (DG45ID) is very low.

This appears to connect OK when tried with either of two Sony Minidisk audio recorders (MZ-RH1 or MZ-N10), but with the same result. The audio is there - - just at a low level. I do not find a separate adjustment on the IDT audio control panel (the program provided by Intel that runs under Windows XP-Pro) for S/PDIF. The volume level is increased or decreased with the master volume, but it's not loud enough.

The Sony audio recorders have instructions for manually setting audio levels between two marks on the VU meters. So far I have not been able to get a display between these two marks. It does come close to the bottom mark, though. (Do others get input readings between these two marks when connected to the optical line?)

Is there something I'm missing here that will increase the audio level? Thanks.

I just merged these two topics as you appear to be asking the identical question. It could be moved to tips and tricks, but I really don't think you will get a better answer as a result.

Somewhere there is probably an .INI file or a registry entry containing the level(s) for this setting. I had some similar silly problems with my ASUS HTPC based on the Intel ION chipset. The TOSlink volume was kindof random. I solved it by switching to HDMI out for most purposes, though I do occasionally plug in a USB-to-TOSlink converter.

Ah! I know what's wrong. Turned out the TOSlink output was hardwired to 48kHz sample rate (standard is 44.1 for MD decks and the like). Maybe something else is causing the portables to fail to convert from 48 to 44.1. You will get decreased fidelity (from my limited experience), so perhaps it's better to buy something for the USB.

Does your amp have an optical input? You could test it out with that.

Stephen

PS one more thing I assume you set the Audio Device to the proper output for Windows......

I'd like to know more about the .INI and registry files that might be involved. It would help me to know if others are seeing audio levels between the two marks on the meters of these MD devices. I really did want to use the MD recorder to record content that comes off my Intel mother board.

Ah! I know what's wrong. Turned out the TOSlink output was hardwired to 48kHz sample rate (standard is 44.1 for MD decks and the like). Maybe something else is causing the portables to fail to convert from 48 to 44.1. You will get decreased fidelity (from my limited experience), so perhaps it's better to buy something for the USB.

I'll check this out. Are settings for this available?

Does your amp have an optical input? You could test it out with that.

I have an MDSJE480 with an optical output. I'll try to check the levels with that.

I have an MDSJE480 with an optical output. I'll try to check the levels with that.

I hope you mean input (not output). The (unmodified) 480 doesn't do output anyway. MD is problematic in this area because of SCMS. You're best with an amplifier that has an optical in.

Sound settings are saved between Windows sessions, but it's hard to explain (meaning, I don'r recall how) where they are saved. It's somewhere quite anonymous, and I suggest you look for a freebie download that helps you find that stuff. I think the registry key will have \Enum\ somewhere in it.

Another possibility - there's a utility called regmon that will allow you to see where changes get sent as you tweak your IDT sound control panel. That's probably the most general solution. Good luck.

I hope you mean input (not output). The (unmodified) 480 doesn't do output anyway. MD is problematic in this area because of SCMS. You're best with an amplifier that has an optical in.

I stand corrected - - I meant to say input. I checked the portable recorder with the optical output from a Sony CD recorder / player (model RCDW500C). With this output the meters on the portable recorder work as shown in the manual.

Sound settings are saved between Windows sessions, but it's hard to explain (meaning, I don'r recall how) where they are saved. It's somewhere quite anonymous, and I suggest you look for a freebie download that helps you find that stuff. I think the registry key will have \Enum\ somewhere in it.

Another possibility - there's a utility called regmon that will allow you to see where changes get sent as you tweak your IDT sound control panel. That's probably the most general solution. Good luck.

I now suspect the problem is with the IDT control software that runs under Windows XP. I understand the version that runs under Win 7 has a separate audio control for the SPDIF output. I'd like to find a program that would do this under XP. Or I wish I could arrange for the optical output of the Intel board to be a fixed level, and let the recorder volume control handle this function entirely.

I now suspect the problem is with the IDT control software that runs under Windows XP.

If that's the case, most likely complete removal of the sound device, reboot (without sound card physically in the machine) and re-installation should fix the problem.

And if the sound card is on the mother board, disable in ROM BIOS before removing all trace of drivers.

If that's the case, most likely complete removal of the sound device, reboot (without sound card physically in the machine) and re-installation should fix the problem.

And if the sound card is on the mother board, disable in ROM BIOS before removing all trace of drivers.

Yes it is on the mother board. The IDT Audio Control Panel was delievered with the Intel GD45ID mother board. I may try this - but will proceed with a lot of caution. I've spent some time on the phone with Intel support (they route these calls to an office in Costa Rica), and they did not have reports about this problem.

I would prefer an arrangement where the audio level from the S/PDIF connector on the mother board is constant, and all further audio level control is handled by the outboard device. In my case that's either a Sony MZRH1 or MZN10.

As I understand it now, the IDT program also provides tone control that (if set to something other than 'flat') ends up being recorded by the outboard MD recorder.

I would prefer an arrangement where the audio level from the S/PDIF connector on the mother board is constant, and all further audio level control is handled by the outboard device.

I'm sure that's the intention of the setup. Mostly one only sees something in the control panel to set INPUT levels (and providing control for S/PDIF input level). The Terratec boards seem to be an exception, one gets full control of everything in both directions.

The alternative, a USB dongle with opti-out isn't so bad.