SonicStage Library location.

Rate this topic

Azureal

I am performing a fresh install of 4.3 Ultimate. I am transferring my library from another machine using the backup tool. I have my main drive in the machie as an SSD and want to preserve the space on that drive for programs and use my D:\ drive to store the data. I cannot seem to locate any setting to specify the location of the library of ATRAC files...

This may be an option when I do the actual restore of the backup, i am not quite there yet, still copying a large file now.

Stephen, this is something you are likely able to answer for me. Maybe it is so obvious I am missing it?

Thanks in advance!

I am performing a fresh install of 4.3 Ultimate. I am transferring my library from another machine using the backup tool. I have my main drive in the machie as an SSD and want to preserve the space on that drive for programs and use my D:\ drive to store the data. I cannot seem to locate any setting to specify the location of the library of ATRAC files...

This may be an option when I do the actual restore of the backup, i am not quite there yet, still copying a large file now.

Stephen, this is something you are likely able to answer for me. Maybe it is so obvious I am missing it?

Thanks in advance!

I would appreciate a description in words of one syllable how to do exactly what you did - back up, import to new version of SS. I'm not sure I have ever done it this way, and people always seem to be asking.

I can test it out and we can post with a sticky or in downloads.

In particular I should like to know if all your files were already liberated from their encryption (File Conversion Tool). And whether the SS database structure was completely intact. I've definitely done this by creating copying the file structure to another machine or drive and then telling SS to import music files. However when I do that, there's always some scrambling of play order within albums as SS usually "knows best" when I had some non-obvious order that I dragged things into. Sounds like the Backup Tool ought to avoid that.

Whilst we're on the subject, have you tried firing up M-Crew Server 2.5 and adding all your SS files to it? Takes about a day. Works ok but I really don't have anything that acts as a client to that server.

On the Source machine:

Some time ago, I ran the File Conversion Tool, removed the check mark next to "Add copy protection".

Using the SonicStage Backup Tool, I created a backup of my entire library to an external USB HD, the library is about 25GB.

On the Target machine:

I installed SonicStage Connect Player 4.3 Ultimate version from the forum (Arvin's version). I installed to the default C: drive location.

I did not connect any ATRAC device prior to restoring the backup of my music library.

On my D: drive, I created a directory "d:\music\SonicStage\"

I connected the USB HD and started the backup tool and selected "Restore".

The backup tool asks for the location of the previously backed up library, I pointed to the location on my USB HD.

The backup tool then asks for the target location you wish to restore the files to, I pointed to the new directory created on my D: drive.

At this point the backup tool says something about authenticating the database via an active Internet connection, this dialog disappears after a while and the restore begins.

Once the restore was completed, I fired up SonicStage and all of my library was displayed in the "My Library" browser.

I noticed that the upper right "available space" figure was clearly showing the space available on my 240GB C: SSD and not my nearly empty 500GB D:

I entered the options via Tools --> Options menu and on the "Location to save imported files" I changed the default location to "d:\music\SonicStage\"

Upon application, the "Avaialble space" in the upper right of the SonicStage display showed the free space on my d: drive.

I just ripped five new CDs to ATRAC Lossless 352Kbps and the new files were ripped right into the same location as the restored backup.

At this point I connected a DH10P with no disk, it was immediately recognized as a HiMD Mass Storage device.

I then inserted a disk and changed the mode in SS to NetMD, W7-64 tried to load a driver but failed as we know it will.

I located the DH10P device in Device Manager and changed the driver to the 760 64 bit NetMD driver and the disk could then be formatted in SS as NetMD or HiMD.

Everything seems to be working very well!

I do not know for sure if my SS database structure was in order prior to beginning, but I had no issues performing a back up or a restore. I did run the conversion tool a while back to strip off any copy protection so I know for sure that was done. I have done this on a couple of machines over the years and I exclusively use the backup tool, outside of SS, I never use the File --> Import functionality except to convert an MP3 into ATRAC and get it into my Library.

I have never used the M-Crew server tool you mention.