Bit perfect CD ripping via Sonic Stage

Rate this topic

My only comment is: do not assume that SS will do this as well as you have documented! There's some magic in there when the drive gets introduced to SS for the first time. Evidently it sometimes works. I know I had terrible trouble with CD->WAV rips before I started using EAC.It's always possible that a dying drive will not show up in SS, which perhaps is what happened to me. Also having various other software on your PC that handles CDROMs will (or at least may) blur the picture. Examples: Nero, Roxio (CD Creator).

There is no encryption in AAL. That's the good news. I use 256kbps as the lossy part, and I use the highest quality encoding (as opposed to highest speed). In size, I think it's about half or a bit less, of a WAV. It will transfer to equal or lower quality (so far I have used 256 and 132, of course) quite easily from SS. And plays back in Windows, though I strongly suspect that playback is of the lossy part only.

You've probably worked out the other advantage of AAL over WAV. It (like the compressed formats) has metadata, built into the file. WAV is a great format for preparation, editing and the like, but is a great way to lose recordings once made, by immediate typographical errors or later lapses in (human) memory.