UK people - Where do you shop?

Rate this topic

MoCoChris

For pre-recorded disks eBay is your best bet - but look also at portables for sale as sometimes such disks are thrown in as part of the deal. For blank disks just keep your eyes open - charity shops are a good source. I picked up 18 sealed Sony and TDK disks yesterday for £6.50 which is a decent price.

For pre-recorded disks eBay is your best bet - but look also at portables for sale as sometimes such disks are thrown in as part of the deal. For blank disks just keep your eyes open - charity shops are a good source. I picked up 18 sealed Sony and TDK disks yesterday for £6.50 which is a decent price.

What charity shop was that?

Most seemto do clothes and dont deal with electricals :(

I dont buy pre-recorded MDs as the ones i have bought sound poor probably the earlier ATRAC version they were recorded with is poorer than the later 4.5 R etc

Unfortunately most charity shops these days (or certainly the major ones) have somebody knowledgeable picking through stuff like vinyl records, CD's etc. Anything that appears to be worth a bit then gets listed on Ebay.

You might find something in a small, local, independent charity shop or occasionally stuff turns up at car boots. There's a lot of luck involved.

I believe there was a thread some time ago discussing pre-recorded MD's and which Atrac version was used. I've got a pre-recorded copy of Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell album and I must admit the sound quality is nowhere near that of the CD.

I haven't actually tried this but I reckon if I copied the CD onto a blank MD using my deck (in SP mode) the copy would sound better than the pre-recorded one.

• Like 1

What charity shop was that?

Most seemto do clothes and dont deal with electricals :(

I dont buy pre-recorded MDs as the ones i have bought sound poor probably the earlier ATRAC version they were recorded with is poorer than the later 4.5 R etc

It was the YMCA in Aylesbury. Cash Converters are another good place. When they sell you a MD deck you often find that they come with a whole mass of used and new blank disks.

• 3 weeks later...