MZ-E900 can't play pre-recorded disc properly

Rate this topic

CBits Tech

I have an MZ-E900 player. I recently bought my first pre-recorded minidisc and the MZ-E900 is having trouble playing it. It can play the tracks, but sometimes pauses while it reads more data. On recordable  discs (SP (ATRAC1) and LP) it reads data to the buffer then spins down, spinning back up to read more data later, as it should. On this disc it sounds like it's constantly searching for the sectors of data.

I've gently cleaned the lens with 99.7% isopropyl alcohol and allowed it to dry. Recorded discs play fine, and the pre-recorded disc plays fine in my other players. As I understand it, pre-recorded discs were pressed, not burned.

Does anyone more experienced than I know what might be causing this? Is it a common problem? Is there a solution please?

Thanks.

The adjustment for CD reading is quite separate to that for MO reading (most MD's). So you either have to fiddle with the mechanism, or (more likely) need to do a self-alignment.

To do this, you need to get into service mode. You also need some experience and (possibly) electronics gear. Not a job for the faint of heart.

As the CD adjustment is completely separate, I would leave that unit and stick to playing regular (MO) MDs with it. Just my 2c.

36 minutes ago, sfbp said:

The adjustment for CD reading is quite separate to that for MO reading (most MD's). So you either have to fiddle with the mechanism, or (more likely) need to do a self-alignment.

To do this, you need to get into service mode. You also need some experience and (possibly) electronics gear. Not a job for the faint of heart.

As the CD adjustment is completely separate, I would leave that unit and stick to playing regular (MO) MDs with it. Just my 2c.

Thanks very much. Whilst I'm quite adventurous with this sort of stuff, as you suggested, it's not worth the trouble trying to fix it for one pre-recorded minidisc. I've already made a playlist in a streaming music service with the minidisc's tracks that I like, and I'll try to burn it from my PC to a Minidisc recorder via optical.

Thanks again.