Sony MDM7 drive 17mm x 0.8 mm (54mm circ) belt

Rate this topic

kgallen

On 11/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, Charlie Linx Audio said:

I have supplied belts for several years now,

Hi Charlie,

I've been a regular user of your 17 x1.2mm belt, but I've not always been successful with it, even in the same machine/drive that has previously worked. The Sony part that I'm replacing is 0.8mm square cross section. Is 17 x 0.8mm a size you might be able to source?

The Sony part is 4-227-025-01 (not that this is much use to anyone, but recording here as the part for MDM7 series drives used in many Sony consumer and pro machines from ~2000 of Type R or Type S using 2662 DSP).

Hi

0.8mm doesn't seem to be made anymore - I sometimes get quantities of Walkman type belts but the quality is usually very varied, and the smallest sizes seem to be approx 25mm diameter. These are still manufactured by my usual supplier so I will send him an enquiry and report back his response. With the time difference and their seemingly continuous holidays (in China!) it might be Monday before I have his response. 

He has recently made me a brand new supply of 14mm belts which are of lovely quality, so it may be that he can make a special run of these.............I will report back...

Regards!
Charlie

2 minutes ago, Charlie Linx Audio said:

He has recently made me a brand new supply of 14mm belts which are of lovely quality, so it may be that he can make a special run of these.............I will report back...

Fantastic! Thanks for the quick response and followup!

Another user was just querying belts. Sourcing the correct one - or at least the correct size in good quality, is an ongoing problem! It seems over lockdown, many users are pulling their machines from the loft and rekindling their love...!

Cheers,

Kevin

I have sent in the request and I will post the response as soon as I get it.

He gives me a great service and I have just received a large box of turntable and cassette deck flat belts which I am slowly working through (!!!) and I am sure he will offer something that will be acceptable

As it has gone mid-night there I hope I will hear from him tomorrow!!!

I have just received confirmation that these belts can be made, so I have put an order in for 50 of them (17mm x 0.8 square cross section).

These will probably be delivered within the next 14 days as we use FedEx who offer an exceptional service. As soon as I have worked out the final cost with shipping and Customs I will get these listed on my usual eBay site, but I will also let everyone on here know that they are available

Best wishes everyone

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

I am delighted to inform everyone that I now have a supply of drive Belts of 17mm internal diameter, approx 53mm length, and 0.8 x 0.8 square cross section. They seem to be of a very good quality, and are available from my usual shop on ebay, or direct if you wish by replying to this post. If the administers are so minded now you know who I am, I have a link to the ebay ad but haven't posted that until you tell me I can (or otherwise!!!)

The price is a little more than my normal range as they have been produced to order and so are all brand new stock, but I can let them out at just £1.65 each plus postage (£0.85 UK or £1.70 worldwide)

Regards to everyone

Charlie

This is Charlie's UK eBay shop if you're looking: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/linxaudio

These are the 17 x 0.8mm square belts. I'm going in for a set of 10 to see how these work in my MDS-E12 which wasn't so happy with my earlier 17 x 1.2mm ones...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17mm-Internal-Diameter-53mm-Length-0-8mm-Square-Cross-section-Rubber-Drive-Belt/193976337464?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• 3 weeks later...

I'm avoiding the temptation to be greedy. I thought I'd let others get in if they needed some, but in a while I'll probably order another 10 whilst they are available (although I'm sure now he knows the spec, Charlie would order some more). I have a lot of MDM7-series drive machines...

• 9 months later...

Quick note that Charlie is currently out of stock of this belt (15/Jan/22). I’ve dropped him a note to ask if he’s getting any more made (this was a special order belt for us folks per the thread above).

Edit: Charlie got back to me within 5 minutes! 100 belts on the way to him as we speak!