VAIO Pocket: Japanese -> English Firmware

Rate this question

Minger

Question

Hi, I'm about to sell my VAIO Pocket, and at the moment...I don't remember where to find the option for a firmware update :blink:

I mean, its been nearly a year since I swapped the firmware, adn still can't read Japanese...Just did it for the fact that I wouldn't have to keep formatting it every time I updated the player.

Which reminds me, if I change it back, do I have to unassociate the player with my Connect account on Sonicstage?

Thanks,

Ming

6 answers to this question

I’m sorry for the delayed response.

Assuming you have forgotten the entire procedure, please follow the following steps:

1. Connect your VAIO Pocket with the PC.
  2. Copy and paste the latest English firmware (either from the EU or the US) onto the VAIO Pocket once the device displays: "Data Transfer Mode: Connected to PC".
  3. Disconnect the VAIO Pocket from the PC.

Note: before proceeding to update the firmware, ensure that your VAIO Pocket is fully charged. Just to be safe, leave the VAIO Pocket in its cradle during the firmware update.

4. Once you are ready to update, review your VAIO Pocket and go to メインメニュー (Main Menu) --> 設定 (Settings) --> ファームウェアアップデート (Firmware Update). At this point, current firmware version information along with the firmware you are about to apply should be on display.
  5. Select アップデート (Update) and confirm [OK]. Accordingly the firmware update will commence and a blue progress bar will appear. Do not touch the VAIO Pocket until the blue progress bar disappears. Upon completion, the VAIO Pocket will turn itself off automatically.
  6. Finally, switch your VAIO Pocket back on and reset its settings accordingly.
Since you are selling the VAIO Pocket, you may want to conduct a “HDD Format” via the VAIO Pocket’s “Initializations” menu. (if I remember correctly, you will still have files intact within the VAIO Pocket upon a firmware update; but I could be mistaken.) That way your prospective buyer could start afresh so to speak.

Good luck with your sale. :)

Alrite, thanks. I remember the process, its just that I forgot which option it was...and I guess I could have just asked my parents, they can read Chinese, so they could probalby make some heads and tails of it.

Regardless, thanks...I'll probalby have to unassociate the player now.

I thought about selling mine as well recently, but the cost I would recover wouldn't be very much. The player is old and support is next to gone.

40GBs of space . . . . I decided just to keep mine . . . . despite the freezing/playback problems I have had of recent =(